Unreal Editor Menus turn black

My issue is that after using unreal editor for some time, randomly out of nowhere the ui bugs out and following things happen all at once:

• All menus turn black and are unusable
  • Viewport menus that were opened by right click instantly close too when this phenomenon occurs
  • Unreal engine editor looks as if it was unselected in windows
  • Opening blueprint editor in fullscreen makes it look fully black but it looks fine when in non-resized mode

I tried to take screenshot but they look normal in screenshot, so here’s my crappy photoshop recreation of the bug:

The issue resolves when I restart editor but its annoying to have to restart it every time it happens. Not sure what causes it. I’m on Windows 10 Professional version 20H2, RTX 3070.

• Thanks
2 Likes

That sounds like a GPU driver issue. Are you using the latest?

If you are, then try the ‘studio’ version of the drivers.

I use latest Game Ready Driver for RTX 3070. Imma try studio version.

Also a possibility:

MFAA was and still is off in my case sadly.

How about?

Got window animations disabled

Is it working?

Bug still occurs with window animations disabled.

I’ve also tried running unreal as admin, running in win 7 compatbility mode. Bug still occurs even after all that.

I didn’t try studio drivers yet though.

I had the same issue, I’m running a 3080 and had the game ready drivers installed, I then installed the studio drivers for my card (Which was version 460.89 and the game driver was 461.09) and the problem seems to have gone! So thank you to ClockworkOcean

1 Like

Problem still gone? Just curious

• Thanks

I’ve been using it all day today and still no black menus! I have just seen that there is an update for the studio driver (from 460.89 to 461.40) so I will install it and let you know what happens.

Ok so it did it again with the 461.40 Studio Driver, so I’m going to have to roll back the driver as it worked fine with the 460.89 driver, I will keep you guys updated

1 Like

Also having the same issue here. It seems to happen/trigger with unreal but after it starts happening with unreal it also was also showing up a little bit in Edge but not as bad.

I’m having the same issue with blacked out menus and, in certain cases, with windows behind Unreal Engine (Chrome) seeming to appear inside the blacked out menu windows - as if Chrome is being rendered through Unreal. I had updated to 461.4 – both Studio and Game drivers – and had this issue. I am currently in the process of rolling back to 460.89 Studio Driver and reinstalling Unreal 4.26.

Another issue that I was having is skyrocketing build times in a project that used to take only about 15 minutes (now projected to take hours upon hours). Has anyone else experienced this? Could changing some of the default sky sphere options (like horizon color and unchecking “colors determined by directional light”) be causing the incredible increase in build time? (that is something else that I changed in the meantime).

Thanks everyone!

For 2 days, I’ve had no problems with the previous version of the NVidia Studio driver (460.89) so I’d say that the bug is caused by the newest drivers (461.40 at the time of this post)

Here is a link to that studio driver

1 Like

I tried 461.92 which is the newest studio driver to date, still the same, took longer but it still happened, so I’m back to 460.89 again, we pay so much money for these cards and several updates later and still get issues… I hope unreal engine 5 is out soon and this issue gets left behind

I’ve been having the same issue. Rolling back to NVidia Studio driver 460.89 does seem to help. Hopefully epic/nvidia can put out a fix soon.

getting this exact issue with nvidia geforce 1660 phoenix, can use maybe 10 minutes then gotta restart editor. window animations are disabled and still happens. :frowning: nvidia drivers 461.92

I am having the same problem with NVIDIA 2070S.