Unreal Editor Menus turn black

This worked for me. Thank you!

I thought updating my nvidia gpu drivers would fix it, but this bug still occurs.
Current GPU Drivers: 465:89

GPU is Nvidia RTX 2070S

Hope this gets fixed soon, it definitely slows me down having to relaunch my project every hour or so.

I also have this issue. I have an RTX 2070. It seems to happen only on my main monitor. I run three monitors and if I drag the window over to my other monitors I donā€™t get the black. I will try the studio divers tomorrow but anyone still getting this?

Iā€™m having the same exact issue using driver 461.92 on an RTX 3090. Itā€™s really impeding workflow significantly when you have to relaunch the project every 10-30 minutes. Pretty unacceptable if you are working in engine all day every day. Could someone from Epic PLEASE elevate the priority of this bug with NVidia somehow? Iā€™m certain if itā€™s happening to this many users across this many cards, but all using the same selection of drivers released since the December version 460.89, then it should not be considered a benign or isolated issue.

Having to roll-back my driver version has even further impacted my projects that use the DLSS plugin, as the plugin relies on features introduced in the newer driver versions. So now I canā€™t effectively work in the editor with a preview of what scenes look like when DLSS is supposed to be enabled.

Yeah, Iā€™m running a 3090 with 2 monitors but the studio driver didnā€™t help either. I havenā€™t experienced the issue so far since I rolled back to 460.89, but I only did it about an hour ago so Iā€™ll wait and see if the bug happens again.

computer reinstalled totally, issue still happens on game ready drivers 465.89. this time menus are just flickering, requires engine restart

Studio drivers did not do ā– ā– ā– ā–  for me sadly. I either face menu flickering or black panels such as this.
Thankfully, this only happens with UE4 and nothing else.

Another problem I notice is when I do suffer such problems in UE4, they transfer to internet browsers such as Braves, turning YouTube videos and entire pages black as I interact with them. Very annoying that I have to shutdown UE4 and sometimes restart Braves just to remedy such folley.

rtx 2080ti same problemā€¦

Iā€™m also getting this issue. Only thing that fixes is is the Nvidia Studio driver 460.89 but thatā€™s not a solution.

The latest NVIDIA Drivers 466.11 have fixed the black menu issueā€¦ now the whole menu will just disappear instead :slight_smile:

edit: Theyā€™re back to black now. 4.26.2 and 466.11. Looks like Iā€™m going back to no DLSS testing

One more update:
I was using Microsoft Excel to create some DataTables after UE4 was working fineā€¦ then Excel started to do the same thing (black screens on pop-up menus and everywhere). The difference was Excel was able to keep recovering somewhat.

I go back to UE4 and guess what Iā€™m getting? Black pop-ups again.

Looks like whatever the issue is, itā€™s not directly UE4ā€™s fault.

Hello everyone,
In another thread someone posted a fix, and I have applied it and IT WORKS.

I had tried this fix in the past, but you have to restart your computer after applying it.

The fix is registry edit from NVIDIA here: After updating to NVIDIA Game Ready Driver 461.09 or newer, some desktop apps may flicker or stutter when resizing the window on some PC configurations | NVIDIA

The issue for me is finally fixed (been working for a few hours now with no black popups and no menu glitchiness.

Again, the important part is restarting your PC after applying the fix.

Hope this helps.

3 Likes

Hi,
same problem with Nvidia RTX 3070, Nvidia Studio Driver 462.31 (04/14/2021).
I will try the RegEdit soluce or downgrade the driverā€¦

I found a much better solution to this nightmare: Switch RHI render to Vulkan.
It is the only workaround that works for my project without having to downgrade my driver just to work in UE4, and even then, I know not how long that will even suffice at this rate.

I will be VERY bluntly honest: this Nvidia glitch ordeal is the final straw. I am fed up with Epic Games and their negligence and incompetence! I supported them for the longest time (since the Unreal II days) and as much as I hate to abandon them, they truly changed. They stopped being a company of ethical standard and instead has turned to avarice afforded by a Chinese conglomerate, Their wrath knows no limit for it will soon doom UE4 developers (at least the mobile devs) as their legal battle already proves. This is an Epic issue JUST as much as it is an Nvidia issue. They chose to double down and get all sweat in bed with them, making Nvidia the main go-to-driver service for their engine, rather than focusing more effort on open alternatives and yet this ā€œsupposedly best engine on the entire planetā€ is still a BROKEN HEAPING MESS!!! They neglected to fix the critical bugs remaining in UE3/UDK and discontinued the engine in itā€™s buggy state as soon as UE4 became popular, ā€˜modder-friendlyā€™, and began thriving. Now they are repeating the EXACT same patterns with UE4 as UE5 is arriving around the corner to take the storm, and soon as that happens, chances are likely they will soon abandon UE4 under similar circumstances as itā€™s predecessor suffered once UE5 becomes their new cash cow - half-finished, broken, and discontinued!

Unfortunately I no longer have the liberty of switching engines for the very few projects that still rely on this cursed-excuse for an engine, so after I complete all these projects, I am moving on to Godot Engine and expanding to alternatives - I am done with Unreal Engine as a franchiseā€¦

At least Godot truly care about their developers and customers, not pretend to.

Failing that, thereā€™s always the id Techs - free, open-source alternatives for engine and game development. Even id Tech 1 has proven it can still compete in todayā€™s market (thanks to GZDoom).

EDIT: I take back what I said about GZDoom. The Doom community (and by extension more than a third of the modding community) is utter cancer right now, especially Doomworld and ZDoom. Good thing for Quake II RTXā€¦

Donā€™t know if this is helpful, but I got rid of the black menus and black flickering when using a maximised window by turning off OBS video recording software.

still happening with nvidia drivers 466.47, getting used to this. :frowning:

I am having the same problem with NVIDIA GTX 1660 Super / 6 Gig VRam

Windows 10 Pro - 20H2 - OS Build 19042.985 - NVIDIA Driver 466.11

ATM, I just work on BPā€™s and have nothing fancy in the UE4 Viewport
and I donā€™t have this problem (that a menu list goes black) in any other APP or in UE4 Gameā€™s

I will give this a try now: After updating to NVIDIA Game Ready Driver 461.09 or newer, some desktop apps may flicker or stutter when resizing the window on some PC configurations | NVIDIA

EDIT: The issue for me is finally fixed with the registry file ā€œmpo_disable.regā€ - see the NVIDIA Link below

2 Likes

I confirm that this solution works. This is a much better solution than downgrading driver. I wish Epic can make a quick patch making Vulkan default before fixing the issue with DX 11/12 options.

Glad to know someone benefitted from my post.

Also, I take back what I said about GZDoom. The Doom community is utter cancer right now, especially Doomworld and ZDoom forums. Good thing for Quake II RTXā€¦

This issue still occurs in 477.11 , released just later last month. So they never did fix it.