Black dropdown menu in Unreal menus

I keep running into this bug where the dropdown menus and tooltips turn completely black:

video: [Imgur: The magic of the Internet][2] (they show up fine when I use screen recording so I had to use my phone to capture it).

When I start Unreal it works fine and it only starts happening after using Unreal for 10-50 minutes. I noticed sometimes these menus would occasionally flicker as well, but once they turn black I have to restart Unreal to get them to work again. It applies to all dropdowns, so everything in blueprints, the top menus, or right clicking.

I’ve tried disabling high DPI support and Window Animations in the Editor Preferences, and spent some time poking around in my windows/nvidia settings but nothing I’ve tried so far seems to make a difference.

I’m on Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview 21286.1000 with a RTX 2080 T.

Any suggestions that I could try to fix it?

edit: initially reported this on UE 4.24 but I see it happen on 4.26 as well.

1 Like

I don’t have a solution, but i have the same exact problem. This, combined with frequent crashes, most of the time with the error “Pure virtual function being called while application was running (GIsRunning == 1)”.

The only thing i can think about is that this all started happening after windows deactivaterd itself (“Activate windows” appeared in the bottom right of the screen). Maybe that’s the cause, did it happen to you as well?

I haven’t experienced frequent crashes, and I don’t believe I’ve seen that error. My windows didn’t deactivate itself either. I suspect it’s due to me using a preview windows build, or maybe something with the GPU drivers.

I’ve tried the latest UE 2.46 and it has the same problem. I also noticed instead of black sometimes it would render the viewport behind the dropdown just in the space where the dropdown would be.

Ok so after a windows update nothing of that is happening anymore, i haven’t seen a crash or a bugged dropdown menu in 2 days, so yeah it all seems very random. At least it works now…

Interesting, I did a windows update today, up to 21292.1010 and it seems to be happening less often but still often enough to be annoying (seems to take more than 30 minutes now). What version of windows are you on now? You can do windowskey+r and type “winver” to check.

One new thing I did notice was the blueprint window itself feels smoother and more responsive after this windows update so it’s unfortunate this issue has persisted and only seems to affect the unreal engine.

I’m on version 2004 build 19041.746

I experience same issue, have you found solution?

• Thanks

From what i’ve seen your best bet is updating every driver and software related to graphics and UE4, then if it doesn’t work, try completely removing UE4 and then reinstalling it, and do the same for Visual Studio (if you’re using it for the C++ coding). If it still happens, reinstall windows on a freshly formatted drive after making a backup of everything.

You can either do this or just wait for some updates for windows, UE4 or visual studio and hope they fix everything

Hello,

We’ve made a switch to a new bug reporting method using a more structured form. Please visit the link below for more details and report the issue using the new Bug Submission Form. Feel free to continue to use this thread for community discussion around the issue.

Thanks

Still no solution ? All of my drivers are up to date :confused:

I am also experiencing the same issue with the blacked out menus in Unreal (4.26). I’m using a Nvidia RTX 2060 and updated the drivers with the most recent release on Jan 26. My Geforce Experience is being really buggy though, telling me to continuously update the GPU drivers (game and studio) repeatedly after I go through the download and installation process. Also my build times in Unreal have skyrocketed on Preview – a map that used to take 15 minutes is now only at 20% after an hour.

Has anyone else been experiencing GPU issues? Is this a problem with Unreal or Nvidia? Any tips on fixing this would be greatly appreciated!

I haven’t found a solution yet, I’m on nvidia 461.09 with a 2080 ti.
I read someone fixed it by using nvidia drivers from December but they didn’t specify which version, and I haven’t tried any of them yet. Worth a shot and would appreciate it if you find one that works.

I think I’ve solved my issue by actually using an older nvidia driver, 460.89

I manually reinstalled the Studio driver 460.89 (the most recent before the Jan 26 updates) through Nvidia’s website and have so far ignored the Update available notification in Geforce Experience. So far I haven’t had any issues. Hope that helps people!

1 Like

Mine works with 460.89

Think that was it, I installed the Studio driver 460.89 and I’ve been using unreal for a few hours now and I haven’t run into this issue.

Studio driver 460.89 fixed it for me. (nvidia 3090)

Also facing the same issue. I’ve reported the bug as suggested above, hopefully we can see a fix soon. Rolling back the driver seems to help for now.

Bookmarking this to fix later.

Using 465.89 released a few days ago I’ve started experiencing this issue except instead of menus going black they’re immediately closed. Anyone else experiencing this?