Xeon, GPU or CPU?

The ambient temperature of the room your computer is in is under 3-8 degrees Celsius or 37-46 degrees Fahrenheit?

Not exactly sure but the computer is in very cold room coldest in my house so that probably effects it but either way regardless those are very good temperatures for a cpu to be at, the cooling in my computer is defiantly top notch.

I can’t imagine waiting more than 2-3 minutes of large scale projects, and I’m on a laptop. I think the Xeon is way too overkill, since you will most likely never use it’s real potential, because you’d have to multithread your games, which is not something anyone can do or should do. Going for the i7 skylake or kaby lake is more than enough IMO. Remember that your system will lose value over time, so buying something that’s very expensive will not only cost you more now, but also in the future. What you DO want though, is a SSD, preferably a fast one that supports PCI-E or NVMe. I have a mid-range laptop and it doesn’t take too much to compile medium-large C++ code with those specs: i5-6300HQ, GTX 950M, 8GB DDR4 Ram @ 2400 Ghz, and for storage I use an Intel SATA SSD and the OS of my choice is any flavor of user-designed Linux. Booting up is pretty fast, and starting Unreal Engine 4 is quick enough to not waste time. However, if you still decide to buy a flagship workstation, please do some real-world computation, such as rendering a huge lightmass, and post the results :D.

P.S. : You can also consider the Ryzen CPUs, since in benchmarks and real-world work use, such as rendering they performed better than their Intel counterparts. Also, they are cheaper and use up ~ the same power as Intel’s CPUs.
P.S. 2 : Please post benchmarks if you do get that flagship, I’d love to see them.

Another thing to consider before spending thousands of dollar on a cpu/whole computer is to optimize your scenes a little bit. 2 days to 2 weeks to bake an architectural scene is not normal imo.

For the gpu, they’ve just announced the gtx 1080ti (11gb of vram) which is a bomb and the regular 1080 is getting a price drop. It’s interesting. I’ve heard the new amd ryzen 1800x 8-core cpu is quite good and less expensive than i7s. Another thing to look at maybe. Good luck!

You absolutely have to multithread your game! Modern consoles have four cores with eight hyperthreads, as do modern PCs.
You even had to do that for the previous generation, when you had perhaps 3 cores with 2 hyperthreads per core (Xbox) or something a little less symmetric (PS/3.)
The trick is to build the threading such that most individual parts of your game do not need to use locking – fine-grained locking will kill performance in a hurry.
Instead, you need “chunks” that split up the work, and hand off / synchronize just a few times per frame. Input / Simulation / Rendering is a dependency graph, but it can be pipelined, and in turn, each step can be split into multiple pieces. Parallel collision detection is easy, parallel constraint solving is a little harder (unless you split only on separate “islands” of bodies,) and parallel rendering is the real challenge.

But it’s an architecture viz forum, no one here is making games. Worst case scenario is we have to produce a playable scene which is pretty simple compared to a game!

As a VR dev in the building industry, I can say that every bit of performance you can squeeze out of the engine is good to take !

For a nh-d15s this is insane temps!Are you speaking in celsius?Because 3-8 c idle is times better than the best liquid cooled option.I was expecting 20-25 idle.(the computer in not in a freezer right ? :rolleyes: )