[WIP]

Glad you like it. Our basic process is a high res version from done in Zbrush, which he then decimates and passes along to me to retopo and bake. I retopologize in Maya and bake in it as well, using a mix of the geometry/surface modes. Pretty straight forward, with lots of test bakes to check for distortion. Then it’s on to Substance designer for surfacing and textures (the image you see has not been surfaced yet)

Could you guys go into some detail on what processes and Applications you use to bake your Maps (AO,Normal,Cavity,etc.)?

I am learning right now and Would love to hear from you guys :slight_smile:

Hey! is here. Like Patrick said, we generate our normal maps in Maya. Normal map is really the key here. AO and Cavity is generated from Normal map in application of your choice. Xnormal, Quixel Suite, Substance Designer are all capable of it; with slight differences in speed and quality of the final map. Roughness maps are based on a diffuse and are tweaked manually to achieve the desired shininess and reflectivity. I hope this answered your question! :slight_smile:

wow thanks for the reply, you and . You guys doing a great job!. Im following this thread to see more epic progress - preferably textured stuff xD

Well, it’s Satuday, and you know what that means. Screenshot Saturday!

All of our screenshots, concept art, and other public stuff goes up on our [) account, before it gets posted here, by the way.

As we approach GDC, time sure does seem to be speeding up. While we’re just attendees and have no official presence at the conference, we’re trying to get a press kit finished in time. Jen has been putting together a really cool piece of swag for us to give out and, last but not least, we’re trying to have part of the Hangar Bay demo-able on device while we’re there.

We’ve made great strides towards our goal of a gameplay demo in the past couple weeks. For starters, we replaced our proxy enemy bot with an actual Seditionist soldier model. This is a model brought over from our old Unity prototype. We just slapped a UE4 material on it and rigged it to the Epic Skeleton, but even in this state, it adds a lot to the immersion of the level.

Our HUD got a bit of a visual overhaul also, as did our first person arms model. None of these are final, but they’re all greatly improved in the last week or two.

[)

There were a number of behind-the-scene changes, as well, including updates to the alertness and perception algorithms for the bots that now allow you to “hide” but going to a cover point and kneeling. It won’t work if the bot is very close to you, but it effectively hides you from those that are are a little ways away. We’ve also implemented a fall damage algorithm, and have moved a bunch of our more math-intensive functions over to C++.

Our movement algorithm saw a number of tweaks and now works even better. While also not final, we’re really getting there. It’s starting to feel more natural and I’m really happy with it. This is going to sound like bragging, but Thomas’ move mechanic is the best FPS experience I’ve had on a touch screen without a controller.

The catwalk high-poly asset we showed earlier in the week has moved through our asset pipeline and is now in-engine in the Hangar Bay.

[](]()

We got back to doing some character work this week, as well. We’re not quite ready to show concept work of our protagonist, but we have one supporting character ready for public appearance this week. In the training level, you have a bot that acts as your drill instructor. The bot will also be used in what we call our “take a knee” mode, which pauses the game and lets you select your loadout and upgrade weapons.

started his character exploration with thumbnails:

He then moved to Zbrush because, well… loves ZBrush (I think he’s having a romantic Valentine’s day dinner with ZBrush right now, actually). Here’s the current WIP model of the training droid.

)

He also did some color exploration on the Training Bot model:

Of course, we had to point out to that these color explorations kind of look like iPod nano ads. In hindsight, maybe we shouldn’t have said that. He got really quiet on us and disappeared, coming back a little later this this.

At least he’s still got his sense of humor after all the long days he’s been putting in.

As always, we welcome your comments and questions. Anybody who’s going to be at GDC, come find me if you want to see the demo or pick up a piece of our cool swag.

Training bot is looking pretty cool man! Also - GDC, you know where to find us :slight_smile:

Oh, we’ll find you, don’t you worry about that. :slight_smile:

Our artists have been driving themselves nuts for the last two weeks trying to figure out the right for building stair units into a section of the hangar bay.
Rather than let them continue to suffer this fate I went ahead and implemented a reusable stairwell blueprint.

Stairs are specified as an “under railing”, “step”, and various “over railing” segments with just a few parameters to allow tweaking of final placement.
When you drop the blueprint into the scene, you drag the target diamond into position at the top of your blocking mesh and the blueprint creates the collider required to get you from the floor to the landing.

Railings have mounts to cover seams that hang down toward the floor at regular intervals.

Pretty nifty. Total build time was around 9 hours.

I made a thing.

This project looks great, and those training bot models look amazing.

This is raaaad

Well, it’s our second-to-last #ScreenshotSaturday before GDC! Speaking of that, and I will be out at the show, so feel free to reach out if you want to say hi, see our tech demo on device, or grab a beer!

Let’s start this week’s update off with something different - a blog post I wrote a few months back that finally made it out onto our company blog.

Disintegrating Baddies Blog Post

This is a very basic step-by-step tutorial for doing dissolve and disintegration like the ones I showed a while back in this thread.

Thomas already revealed his über-cool stair generating blueprint, which was one of the bigger items we moved off the endless to-do list this week. We also saw the big hangar bay door move away from blockout and toward a more final asset.

http://6.t.imgbox.com/3iBka57C.jpg

A bunch of time this week went into stuff that doesn’t really lend itself to Screenshot Saturday. I worked my way through another cutscene script. We’re not at about about 70% coverage with our script. We’ve known the basic plot and story arc for a while from our game design doc, but the script has taken longer to take shape. I’ve been fighting a little writer’s block on one of the levels for some reason. I know how it all ends, I just haven’t quite figured out the right way to get from here to there.

also started doodling some more character concepts this week. He wouldn’t let me share what he’s done so far, but I’m hoping we’ll have a some more concept art to share next week. We should have our GDC Press Kit finalized (or close to it) by next Screenshot Saturday, too.

As always, thanks for looking, and let us know if you have any questions!

Our team has been making a lot of process leading up to GDC. We shared this character exploration of our Private Liliya Sergeyeva earlier this week:

/status/571035349155254273

http://7.t.imgbox.com/CHXSSJuD.jpg

We also realized just how far the Oberon hangar bay has come along:

/status/571349545881178112

http://2.t.imgbox.com/kaCO3KDN.jpg

Thanks for checking us out and don’t forget to say hi to and at GDC next week - they’ll have some goodies to show off and even give away :slight_smile:

Give away? You mean I can’t keep them? :frowning:

I’ll happily keep them safe for you, ::rubs hands together::

Nice posting really enjoyed reading it.

Just a note - the concept sketch above actually links to an animated gif. If you click on it, you’ll see the progression from roughout to more polished concept.

So… you may have noticed that Screenshot Saturday and our weekly update didn’t happen yesterday. We’ve been in a final press to get stuff done for GDC (I’m typing this while waiting at the gate to catch my flight to San Francisco), but as we were finally getting everything together for the update, my internet went out and stayed out until after I went to bed. Everybody else was heads down trying to get stuff finished for GDC.

I’ll be posting a bunch of new images later today or tomorrow from our press kit and hope to find time to type up a status catch-up, but we had a productive week, but one with its share of technical problems. We went to build our final GDC demo build and… the controls weren’t working. So, I spent the time I should’ve used to pack trying to figure out what broke it and why.

I swear something weird happens to the fabric of space and time as you approach an event like GDC.

Anyway, and I will be out there and would love to meet other Unreal Devs, so ping us on Twitter (@]()) if you want to meet up.

Here I am, posting a belated #ScreenShotSaturday from 10,000 meters up. Living in the future!

Anyway, here are a few new shots, and one older repurposed shot. I will have more to post when I get the rest of the press kit back from design.

First up are some outfit and armor sketches for our protagonist (click for full size):
http://7.t.imgbox.com/0qvlVlKw.jpg http://9.t.imgbox.com/GAPoYJbb.jpg

And here is a rifle that was originally designed as the “starter” gun the player would use on the training range. As the design language of the two factions evolved, our art team decided that this gun no longer fits with the design language of the , so it has now become a Seditionist weapon, one that we don’t have a name for yet.

http://2.t.imgbox.com/GoDDIsvj.jpg