Windows 10 Store Support ?

You can still make win32 games, plain and simple. But lets not talk about how neither the new Unreal Tournament, Fortnight, Paragon or Shadow Complex are available on any platform other than the Epic Games Launcher. Which is the true motive of this rant.

“But Epic has prided itself on providing software directly to customers…”

Tim is completely lying to the entire PC gaming community

For how long ?

Well obviously Epic would loose 30% of revenue made from their PC games, should Tim’s vision come to pass.

You know who else would ? The entire PC community.

First of all you can select what platforms support, but the problem now I think is about MS wants lock all and only sell or download games in their platform, and only give support to windows. So that is the problem, you can select Steam or not or other platforms but no lock all to use one single thing and control all from these apps/companies.

Anyway MS is doing this since the launch of Windows 10…

You can view the story always when that happen nothing good come after that.

So in this case I’m in the @TimSweeney side, to defend the rights of select.

Evidence … ???

Trying to make a competitor to Steam isn’t.

^This ten times over …

If MS locked all those others out they would have an Anti Trust judge down on them pretty sharpish.

Everyone is talking about what MIGHT happen.

Tim’s article was about Microsoft trying to lock everyone out, so that’s what we’re talking about here. Microsoft’s store as been there for years, it’s not the issue. Like I said I’m happy that Microsoft has their own store like everyone else.

more fearmongering. Its like saying, the air is still full of oxygen, but for how long?
Side Loading has been on by DEFAULT since November’s Update.
He lied so many times in the article its hard to keep track.
All he is doing is provoking fear in you all and its working.

I think that they are having hard time trying to go to the mobile world and now they have an additional platform to deal with.
Furthermore what they currently have for xbox and pc will be eventually became deprecated if compared to newer UWP apps (not to mention hololens).
Add the fact that one of their competitor already support them… and you get these results.

Windows 10 Store? That’s a DRM for only 1 type of operational system! It’s cool for it to be avaible there but if Unreal Engine can be downloaded withouth it I don’t see much reason too. Besides that service isn’t that cool for windows 7 users (like me) who still prefer windows 7.

and they want to kill all firstborn children too! why nobody is worrying about that???

seriously, it’s been years that people complain about Microsoft, and now we have Apple, SteamOS and Google-fake-android.

if you are not gonna support an environment, someone else is gonna do that.

why bother? they are talking about target platform, not developer platform.
I mean… it would be nice to be able to use the editor with linux but an additional target platform would be far more usefull

There’s no problem on M$ intentions; if they close the platform, SteamOS takes over and life keeps going.
The problem Tim sees here is that M$ intentions may become a wall to his own business in future.
But consumers don’t need to worry about this, if M$ do such a stupid thing as get rid of Win32, then even NVidia could enter the arena and strike big with a new Win32 compatible OS.

I didn’t choose to make apps for iphones, and still I have to do it now.

you don’t know what you are talking about

A new layer of abstraction over hardware and operating system, composite and upgradable, the same code that works with multiple platforms (and with xamarin it could even reach android and ios in the future),
many languages available and all of them (including javascript) can compile natively.
Even just the API itself, the way it is presented and architected is enough to understand the benefits that you can get.

Every website upgrades without asking you anything, you just download the new version each time. You don’t like the new version? You can use something else and they loose a consumer.
I’m quite happy with windows 10 and I found absurd that in this world of Facebook and Apple you have to say something about Microsoft.
(and btw, I like facebook and apple too)

No idea about games but as for apps in general yes. Xamarin already provides “forms” in xaml.

as I said, you don’t know what you are talking about.
and everyone starts from something that already exists, if their products were worst or the same than the old one, everyone would have stayed with the old ones.
“jealousy over java…” come on, how old are you??

FB was for the privacy factor.
as of Linux, I dont’ see the point. The goal is to have UWP as an additional target platform, not to add a developer platform. There is no gain there

gave up, not interested anymore.

If MS really want to windows store to compete with steam then why stopping Unreal for supporting it? It is not like Valve funding Unreal? I mean every platform is already competing to each other. It’s really the customer’s choice what platform to use.

Well MS is still the 3rd player in mobile market. Small % is still a percentage but there’s still a lot of hate towards MS… this I fully understand.

A little heads up: it is possible to upload Win32 apps to the Microsoft Store, including Unreal Engine projects. Here’s a guide.