Why won't my instance get removed?

If I check the hit actor is landscape,
the HISMs, actor tags, component tags,
nothing will work. Is this bug report
territory or is there some reason the
HISMs are still spawning inside each
other?

You trace is set up incorrectly, not sure why you refuse to acknowledge that. You’re firing the trace up - not sure what they’re hitting. In theory, it could work as you’d get instant collision from the sweep but it’s so awkward… Why!?

And judging by the confusion in here, are you absolutely sure you’ve set the object channels correctly since you’re tracing by objects type?

You have a perfectly set up example yet you refuse to use it. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Consider sending me the tree mesh, I can have a look at it. Perhaps it’s truly bugged and cannot be made work. Other than that, I’m tapping out of this one :slight_smile: Good luck.

But to be honest, why don’t you try using a simple cube mesh from the engine just get things working. It took me around 5 mins to set up and you must have been banging your head against the wall for days here. :expressionless:

It’s still very, very incorrect.

The box extent does not matter. Origin Z has to be above ground. And you need to subtract not add.

Cause if my landscape is 100% flat I
don’t need to check the z by 2000?

Completely irrelevant. It’s the direction of the trace, you’re tracing upwards. if you wanted to hit a cloud above you, it’d be fine…

And I’m reluctant to use the trace by
channel because I need these things to
not block camera, visibility or
landscape.

Not sure what it has to do with anything :frowning:

Your current setup should not be working correctly at all. You place a sphere at the ground, it hits the ground. So it should be a fine to spawn something there but it isn’t because something might be just above the ground like a previously spawned tree. That’s why you want to have a trace come from the top and clear the area - if the trace is able to reach the ground from the top, it means there’s nothing blocking it and you can spawn an object.

Essentially, you place the trace beginning in the ground so it’s always hitting the ground - what’s the point of doing that?

Okay that seems to work but now the
cubes are randomly on the z? Like ±
200 maybe?

Can you show the trace BP? You’re most likely randomsing Box Extent Z - it should be set to 0. Not sure why my BP shows 1, which is fine, for as long as it’s not random and the trace is long enough.

You can always set the subtract value much higher to something like 10k to make sure it always reaches the ground. Unnecessary brute force but is should suffice.

Okay that seems to work but now the cubes are randomly on the z? Like ± 200 maybe?

But the collision does not seem to happen anymore.

In the bounding box some seem to be even with the ground, slightly above or slightly below.

If I have my HISMs to ignore the trace channels wouldn’t the trace by channel hit just not detect them?

Thanks for your patience and help thus far.

Those settings produce this, and yeah I didn’t realize it was a subtract till after I posted the image :stuck_out_tongue:

Hoooly ■■■■. That did it. Just tested it 5 times in a row. Works perfectly now, thanks so much dude.

Ah, makes perfect sense. Instead of Hit Location, Use Impact Point. Currently it’s giving you the centre of the sphere and the red dot is the Impact point.

You should end up with the cubes half embedded in the ground. If your trees have correctly set up pivots (at the base), you should be golden.

If their pivots are in the centre (which is often the default - depends on how you set it up in the modelling app), you can add half the tree Z height to the Impact Point. But, ideally, the trees should have the pivot at their base.