Why is Unity the most popular engine?

Another thing to consider is the Unity marketplace. It pretty much has everything. But like others have stated above, you can’t compete with UE4 graphics. The UE4 editor is amazing. I imagine that UE4 will really be gaining popularity once their Marketplace grows.

Guys and Gals … just a reminder to keep it professional: Forum Rules/Code of Conduct

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and it is good that this discussion is staying on track … but just remember to keep it professional and civil.

Thanks

i like its food, its just the forging your own knife and fork that troubles me, it doesnt leave any time to eat.

I kind of understand where tegleg is coming from, as I ended up inventing a lot of low-level stuff myself. For example Slate is good, as far as C++ UI frameworks go, but most base widgets lack so much functionality that I ended up with custom classes for buttons or drop-down menus. But that we could even do it, with clean C++, in a way that works really well with the engine, is the other side of that coin. Having access to the full source code, having access to C++ to extend functionality, being able to make something that wasn’t envisioned by the UE team, can be worth it.

It really depends on your game, your team, and what you’re looking for. I don’t think UE is the engine for small projects, game jams, etc. It’s a really great engine for long-term projects.

If he enjoys paying $200+usd every month just to port C# code to Android while paying for tools like PlayMaker and the likes, well, it’s his choice :wink:
Btw, most Unity users are using 10+ years old MacBooks to make their free mobile apps, they can’t even think of running UE4 Editor.

Oh and some ppl are running around saying that perpetual Unity pro licenses will be killed next year; I don’t know if that is true, but if it is real I’m sorry for those that can’t make video games without Unity and C#.

It’s true that working with Unity3D is easy and nice. Yes, it’s pleasure to use this software - I’m not afraid of using these words. I asked Epic Team to include some “Unity3D features” in UE4. It wasn’t liked by true blue UE4 users, but some small changes can make the engine similar to Unity3D. There’s the whole thread about that. Epic Team have made much to make UE4 better for beginners, but some features that can attract Unity3D users are still missing. UE4 isn’t so nice like Unity3D, but has in-built features I need. That’s all.

I think it basically comes down to perception and opinion. I think its been clarified why Unity was/is popular because, it is noob friendly and has had quite some time to root itself firmly in the world of Game development.

I often go to tool websites and they have support options for Unity but not UE4, Now im starting to see a change, i’m starting to see UE4 getting support from 3rd party tools, as UE4 gains momentum.

I personally think UE4 is easier to use than unity (for me). I remember thinking where is the Material editor in Unity and looking at the marketplace and thinking ‘ohh’… It cost money for something as basic as that. (I don’t know the current status of Unity now and simply don’t care much to find out either)

I can achieve many things in UE4 on my own with my own knowledge because the tools and features are there to assist me. The things I can’t do in unreal is mainly because I have a lack of knowledge of implementing them into the engine via a plugin and lack of understanding of maths/best way to execute something.

Going back to a comment from Tegleg

I could equally say something very similar about Unity. The food is okay and a reliable option but I can’t believe they charge to use the knife and forks!?

I can see the appeal of both Unity and UDK/UE4 and I enjoy the fact they both exist, they have helped the gaming industry boom and create some great games (not to mention the games we are all creating with both devkits now)

For me it comes down to what you can do with a tool not what the tool does itself.

A team highly skilled with Unity could create a better game with Unity than they could being fresh faced with UE4 and vice versa.

There is no material editor in Unity. If you want to do anything in Unity, you have to hardcode script it, which is very difficult to learn. What takes a few seconds to setup a nice material in UE4, put it in the world, and build lighting would take days to setup in Unity if you’re doing it from scratch. You’d have to rely on their marketplace for basically everything you need, which is kind of bare bones for an engine you have to keep paying for. If you’re a programmer, yeah, Unity can get you exactly what you want without any kind of bloat whatsoever. Otherwise, you’ll have to rely on everyone else’s tools and balloon your budget.

UDK was very artist-oriented, and VERY FPS, but UE4 is breaking down those barriers. It’s much easier to use different gametypes now, and blueprints rock! I won’t lie, there is an overhead using UE4’s post processing and rendering engine, which includes everything from static and dynamic shadows to indirect, direct specular, and an entire reflection environment, so under traditional use you will see a lower framerate. However, if you disable all those fancy features (static lighting and lightmass only, dynamic shadows for up close, no reflections, no/minimal post process, basic materials, LOD/draw distance), you should be able to find a swift framerate in UE4 with beautiful rendering and a friendly interface to work with. A lot of people forget to use CullDistanceVolumes or LODs, so when they zoom out to view their entire level in the editor, rendering thousands of high-polygon plants the size of 3 pixels all over a 1080p screen with thousands of objects and it slows down, they wonder why. Well, the reason why is obvious. UE4 turns everything on by default: you have to turn it off if you want the game to run smoother.

At the moment, the only thing I’m really having trouble with is programming AI behavior trees. I’ve already done everything else in this engine, from basic character pickups to health and a dynamic footprint surface that responds to the physical materials of the surface below the character’s foot, triggered by anim notifies, and I’m not even a programmer. I’ve made cinematics, HUD systems, programmable shaders, particle VFX, I even made my own vertex animation system for a project that animated fish using UVs, sine waves, and world positions (which was much faster and smoother than bone animation, and yet people still have doubts about what this engine can do. It will do whatever you allow it.

UE4 is better than Unity, but Unity is easier to learn. It’s best for beginners.

Here’s my opinion on the subject:
Unity starts gathering people around it while Unreal is still not that popular and under 20$/mo
Unreal goes free(with 5% roalty bla bla), large portion goes from Unity to Unreal
People keep coming to Unreal as time passes

Now, why do they keep doing unity? Some stuff just work better, like integration with mobile platforms and C++ sounds too savage to them (which is ehm, not). Also, unity has got a philospophy of veeeery noob / without programming clue tutorials on js/C#. Yeah, unreal has got a more friendly system with blueprints but some people are just too stubborn. The only reason I’d use unity would be either if the client requires it for some weird (and probably wrong reason) and maybe for some 2D game (Paper2D is kindof left out in the corner yo).

This got out of hand so fast. XD Here are some facts that i gathered in hard work.

**- Unity and Ue4 make alot things as good but in a different way

• Unity is more popular by fact, i think they were one of the first companies ever to introduce a engine that is not only for AAA. (Unsure but you get the idea)
  • While Unity is trying to speak to a big group of people at once UE4 is trying to focus on a smaller one. UE4 tries hard to get its quality going and beeing stable, while Unity is trying to get as much people as possible.
  • I was told Unitys documentation is larger and you get a lot more tutorials on it.
  • Unity is not free as UE4 is, but both come with some license sheets. Like Fee for epicgames.**

Unity is different then UE4, but after all what i read heard and felt my own its not better or bad.
Some go for Unity and make great games and some for UE4.

I a direct conversation you would use one argument the most: EngineXY fits me and my skills very good thats the reason i took it.

I’m currently using both, UE4 for fun and unity for profit.

UE4 is for artists, Unity for programmers.
Artists like good looking thing, programmers like productivity.
that’s about it.

Game designer and level designer also like Unreal, It is crazy more productivity with lot of out of the box tools.

They can create games more fast with blueprints:
cblue.png

nope unless the entire logic of your game is saying “Hello World”

I agree with some people here, Unity is easier and probably better game engine but it depends on what you are working on; mobile or casual game is Unity’s strength. But if you are after rendering quality or more serious games, UE4 is the way to go. Surely UE4 is harder (but not necessarily hard), but it looks solid to me.

I have my game vixens-from-outer-space finish 80% only saving money to put the art.

I make weaponry framework

and I am doing a other small game to release in a few moths all with blueprints.

In my work in a team using Unity as game designer, I have 5 games multiplataform for steam, 360, play3, vita and ps4, I know exactly how many time lost doing a game with Unity. :stuck_out_tongue:

You can code in Unreal too. Your argument is invalid.
And unity is introducing nodebased coding currently too, theres even a plugin for it.
There might be a difference in coding overall, unity uses Mono and Unreal C++. But theres is more to that topic.

how many designer and game designer going more faster writing code?¿

When I need a trigger that fire a sound in Unity need a coder, in unreal not.

You dont have the same access level that blueprints and have bugs.

I hope, but meanwhile you only have unreal blueprints.

There are game engines for indies from 1990, gamestudio for example.

That last thing actually is realy realy true in fact XD i forgot about that thing… I ****ing started with that O.o jezus yes thats realy old. Good point indeed!

Um, no? All you see is tech demos and archvis projects. There are many more-complex-than-unity unreal projects. See Fortnite, Shadow Complex, ARK, Paragon (Featured in the launcher).