Why can't I build the source code?

Please check that you installed Windows Kit as well

Hi sportguitarRC,

What is the error message that you are seeing, and where are you seeing it? Is it on the GitHub website, in the GitHub client, or somewhere else?

Hi, I am having very similar problem with a clean installation of Windows 8.1, Windows SDK 8.1, DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010), VS Studio Express 2013, .NET 4.5.

I have downloaded the source for UE 4.2.1 and two required zips, everything as described in README file. What I noticed is that my configuration properties for VC++ are empty except for Executable Directories: $(VC_ExecutablePath_x64);$(WindowsSDK_ExecutablePath);$(VS_ExecutablePath);$(MSBuild_ExecutablePath);$(FxCopDir);$(PATH);

Build fails with the output:

1>------ Build started: Project: UE4, Configuration: Development_Editor x64 ------
1>  Building UnrealHeaderTool...
1>  Performing 29 actions (max 4 parallel jobs)
1>  [3/29] rc.exe PCLaunch.rc
1>  PCH.Shared.CoreUObject.h.cpp
1>  PCH.Shared.Core.h.cpp
1>  PCH.Core.CorePrivate.h.cpp
1>  [5/29] rc.exe PCLaunch.rc
1>  Module.CoreUObject.1_of_5.cpp
1>D:\Projects\GitHub\UnrealEngine-4.2.1-release\Engine\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UnrealHeaderTool\Development\SharedPCHs\PCH.Shared.Core.h.cpp(2): fatal error C1069: cannot read compiler command line
1>  Module.CoreUObject.4_of_5.cpp
1>D:\Projects\GitHub\UnrealEngine-4.2.1-release\Engine\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UnrealHeaderTool\Development\Core\PCH.Core.CorePrivate.h.cpp(2): fatal error C1069: cannot read compiler command line
1>  Module.CoreUObject.3_of_5.cpp
1>D:\Projects\GitHub\UnrealEngine-4.2.1-release\Engine\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UnrealHeaderTool\Development\SharedPCHs\PCH.Shared.CoreUObject.h.cpp(2): fatal error C1069: cannot read compiler command line
1>  Module.CoreUObject.2_of_5.cpp
1>d:\projects\github\unrealengine-4.2.1-release\engine\source\runtime\core\public\templates\SharedPointerInternals.h(573): fatal error C1069: cannot read compiler command line
1>  Module.CoreUObject.5_of_5.cpp
1>d:\projects\github\unrealengine-4.2.1-release\engine\source\runtime\core\public\delegates\DelegateSignatureImpl.inl(621): fatal error C1069: cannot read compiler command line
1>  [11/29] rc.exe PCLaunch.rc
1>  [12/29] rc.exe PCLaunch.rc
1>  [13/29] rc.exe PCLaunch.rc
1>D:\Projects\GitHub\UnrealEngine-4.2.1-release\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Containers\Set.h(888): fatal error C1069: cannot read compiler command line
1>d:\projects\github\unrealengine-4.2.1-release\engine\source\runtime\core\public\templates\SharedPointerInternals.h(573): fatal error C1069: cannot read compiler command line
1>D:\Projects\GitHub\UnrealEngine-4.2.1-release\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Containers\SparseArray.h(461): fatal error C1069: cannot read compiler command line
1>  -------- End Detailed Actions Stats -----------------------------------------------------------
1>ERROR : UBT error : Failed to produce item: D:\Projects\GitHub\UnrealEngine-4.2.1-release\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UnrealHeaderTool-Core.dll
1>  Cumulative action seconds (8 processors): 0,00 building projects, 23,44 compiling, 0,00 creating app bundles, 0,00 generating debug info, 0,00 linking, 0,00 other
1>  UBT execution time: 10,10 seconds
1>  UnrealHeaderTool failed for target 'UE4Editor' (platform: Win64, module info: D:\Projects\GitHub\UnrealEngine-4.2.1-release\Engine\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Development\UnrealHeaderTool.manifest).
1>C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V120\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets(38,5): error MSB3073: The command "..\..\Build\BatchFiles\Build.bat UE4Editor Win64 Development" exited with code -1.
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 1 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

What else do I need?

Hi @Korniow,

The output you provided looks similar to what we have been seeing, but I suspect it is actually a different issue entirely. Would you mind posting a new question so we can focus on your issue there?

Thanks,

Will do. Thanks.

I’ve managed to solve my problem:

The message is “Failed to clone the repository ‘sportguitarRC/UnrealEngine’ please check your internet connection”

Thanks again guys for the help :slight_smile:

Which one?

Were you trying to use a GitHub client to clone the repository?

If it is the windows 8.1 sdk I already installed it.

Yes i tried with the github client.

I do not know if it could help, but when I started to code a new project without the source, it fails again to build and the syntax of the engine seems to be unknown for visual studio. VS put an error to all code whose related to unreal engine 4.

Yes, the code still doesn’t build, and it seems that VS does not recognize the code from UE4 and I get errors for all unreal engine code like UPROPERTY.

So you are even having trouble building code projects when you are using the binary Engine from the Launcher?

This may not work, but it is worth a try at this point. Please download the attachment below and place it on your desktop. Remove the “.txt” from the end of the file and run it. It will provide you with an info.txt file. Can you attach that file back here?

Yes. When I place that .bat file on my desktop and run it, the info.txt file is created on the desktop. Alternatively, you can create a new temporary folder (make sure the name of the folder has no spaces in it), place the .bat file inside it and run it. That will create the info.txt file inside the folder with the .bat file.

Is the info.txt suppose to be on the desktop?

There it is.

Unfortunately that returned what it was supposed to return, so it won’t help resolve this issue.

Are you still receiving the error from GitHub when you try to clone the repository? Are you able to download the zipped source code?

Also, do you have any other versions of Visual Studio installed other than Visual Studio 2013 Professional?

I still receiving the error form github and I am able to download the zipped source code, but it does not succeed to built too.

I had VS 2013 Ultimate, but I uninstalled it.

In my github client, I had no repository of unreal even if I forked it on the github website.

VS120COMNTOOLS is set to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\Tools\

I find out that I have VS110COMNTOOLS too should I keep it or delete it?