Where to store and XML files?

I want to make a plugin that will allow UE4 developers to load xml or files. My original idea was that these would just live in the content folder, but there is no import option for regular old or xml. Where else can these files be stored so that they can be accessed from blueprints or C++?

What I do is create a data-table inside the engine and then export it out as a file. This makes a connection to that file and I can then edit the in Notepad++ to add revisions. Once I’m done I go back into the engine and right click the data table file and just re import. it updates the values and connection to that file.

That way I have one blueprint for lets say the talking character and I can make copies of it on the map and use a public data table variable with it to change the conversations between the copied versions of the same BP. I store my files in a folder called SourceFileLocations that I created in my project folder.

Cool, thanks for the idea. I just decided to store my files in the content folder since that seems fine enough. Make this the answer and I’ll accept it.

There FPaths class containing static functions to get default paths for diffrent stuff, pick one that you think fits roles of those files the most:

There’s a plugin which fully support XML read/write and table mapping, it can be used in both blueprints and c++. Tiny Xml Integration in Code Plugins - UE Marketplace