What's the point of Allegorithmic Substance Designer?

If you only want one person’s opinion, from a really old thread, you should’ve just contacted them directly.

If you don’t want anyone elses input do that through a PM/Twitter or a mail.

Who said I didn’t want anyone else’s opinion. I said I wanted to know Sam’s and not to download and “demo” it myself. I use it but I wanted to know if his opinion has changed. It’s hard to believe this is difficult to understand…

If you only want one person’s opinion, from a really old thread, you should’ve just contacted them directly. There is this thing called email, maybe you have heard of it

Is there really a need to slate the guy for this? I’ve started to notice a mild nasty streak creeping in on the forums lately.

If you watch the streams they very often say they can be contacted via the forums using their handles. I don’t know if it still works with this horrible new forum software but [USER=“868”]Sam Deiter[/USER] should grab his attention just as an email or a tweet would.

It does!

It has come a long way and really transformed into a powerful tool. I have to admit I have only used it a few times over the past year so I might not be the best person to ask about it. However in the end it is like any tool in that it is only going to be as good as the artist wielding it. If you are getting the results you want using something like Photoshop, Mudbox or Zbrush then there is no reason to add another tool to your pipeline. Remember that the more tools you add the more room for error you add so try and keep things as simple as possible.

Once Substance Painter allows painting across texturesets / UDIM Tiles, I’ll probably never use Mari or Zbrush or Photoshop for texturing again. They just started work on that enhancement according to their issue tracker system, so hopefully that will show up in a release soon. It’s got a bit of a quirky workflow, but it’s nonlinear, nondestructive, and super flexible. Over the last couple years they’ve been filling in the gaps other texturing tools miss.

Substance painter unfortunately is nowhere near the level of performance when it comes to tweaking and painting as Mari.

Edit: In fact I would go as far as to say it is at this stage not production ready for that kind of a job,right now best method is to paint in Mari and add procedural elements in substance and then take it back to Mari in case of tweaks. Foundry know this otherwise the price tag on that Software wont sit so comfortably on nearly 2000 US