What to consider when updating a game project from 5.3 to 5.4?

The game I am developing was started on engine version 5.3.2. Now 5.4 is released and I would like to know if it is safe to upgrade to the new engine version. Is there something specific to consider?

The notes on the 5.4 release mention some issues with vs2022, however my project is currently all blueprints.

And if I upgrade to 5.4 and a new version of it comes out like 5.4.x, what happens to an existing game if the engine in the launcher gets updated? are the game project files separated from the engine install?

These are possibly very basic question, however this is a pretty new thing for me so I am looking for the best way to understand how this works

1 Like

Wait for 5.4.1, otherwise you’re just help to beta test it.

When the next update is available, you don’t have to download it. Things will stay as they are, unless you update the engine.

1 Like

When a project is created, is it still dependant on the engine install after creation or is it completely detached from it? So if I update from 5.4.0 to 5.4.x would that affect the project?

What would the world be like if there were no guinea pigs.

1 Like

It’s a standalone thing, although it knows which version of the engine it was created in.

I always find updating painless, but it can break things sometimes.

To be clear 5.4.0 is not beta, the release just before that was. I have seen people having trouble going from 5.X(beta) to 5.X.0, but never from 5.X.0 to 5.X.1, so I think you’ll be fine :slight_smile:

Another couple of things to consider

1. Do you plugins run on 5.4? I use a lot of editor plugins, right now, none of them run. Usually takes about a week to get going.

2. All the updates in 5.4 are production only ( so cinematic workflow orientated ). If that’s not your bag, you have plenty of time to update :slight_smile:

Guinea-pig-less :slight_smile:

What does that mean?

Take a look at the info

It’s all stuff to do with virtual production. There’s not much else. So if that’s not your area, you there’s not much urgency.

Thanks, I was not clear on the terminology used. Motion Matching looks like a very exciting feature

1 Like

There’s also in 5.3 , motion matching i mean.