What is the best UE4 PC setup? (Mainly CPU) And why?

Thanks for letting me know @ honestly I wasn’t smart enough to save a copy of the text so I’ll try to summarize here:

Compilers and development tools tend to prefer more cores - meaning another point to AMD.

Processor cores aren’t getting faster, we are adding more cores to get more processing power - software hasn’t caught up yet - mostly because programmers haven’t - meaning if you want to write code for the near future, write code for more cores.

C++ is gaining ground against other languages, not because it’s easier, but because it makes better use of the processing power that exists, it provides a better experience for the end user - in that regard you may find that developing on a multi-core system backfires if you don’t have the “standard” Intel to test it on.

In a real world example, I wrote some code that worked wonderfully on my development machine, but on an Intel it ran horribly. Because I assumed the use would have eight cores - which they didn’t (at the time Intel didn’t have more than 4).

Thus, in summary:
More processing cores (and thus AMD) are almost always better for development, even more so with Unreal, as the engine uses very little in the regard of Intel-specific tools, and you will most likely want to rebuild the engine at some point using MSVC (unless you happen to be rich enough to afford the Intel compiler!).
But be aware that when you are testing your product - you will need to find an Intel platform to test it on to guarantee the end users experience; if you don’t have available you may want to consider Intel for that reason alone.

However, when all is said and done a top-of-the-line processor from any manufacturer is going to be roughly equivalent - (Floating Point Operation)FLOP counts are pretty close between both.

Thanks a LOT for all the great info!! It really helped me out a lot!
I’m currently leaning towards AMD since I have an intel Core I7 6700k in my old pc, and I have no AMD processors yet.

Tho because there is no big hurry I’m gonna wait a few months to see all the new things that get anounced. If they are super good I can buy those, and otherswise they sure will lower the price of other components :slight_smile:

I have no further questions atm since you guys have answerd everything!

Thanks a lot!

P.S. I love C++ :wink: Idk why, but it just clicks.

So erm, novice question. How do I mark thos threat as solved? Sorry I’m new here xD

There should be a tickbox under upvote/downvote arrows (second pic: https://answers.unrealengine.com/static/how-to-use-answerhub.html)

Also, perhaps that’s what you’re waiting for, the rumored 9900k:

Ahh thanks!

And yeah, that and a few others like the new nvidea cards, and possibly the AMD TR 2.
Idk if I’ll buy any of them, but I’d rather wait then to buy something now and regret it in about 3 - 5 months from now.

thanks, they helped me with the same problem, it was between the rayzen 2700k and the intel 8086k, finally I decided for the rayzen because I use more lighting cooking as an environment designer. :slight_smile:

gtx 1070 with broken fan is it worth of buying and how much to spend on it because my friend is selling? I would put noctua cooler on it. Also is it better to use 1070 than two 960 oc 4 gb ? I have one and I want to buy second one for SLI but it is very difficult to find another same 960 oc 4gb. Now is it ok to put OS on SSD 960 EVo m.2 500 GB? and what motherboard to look at. I have now overclocked 3930k to 4.2 GHz as far as I can see nothing too much beter is on market. I can buy new processor for maybe 30% speed more but price is 150%…

gtx 1070 with broken fan is it worth
of buying and how much to spend on it
because my friend is selling?

Broken fan? £150 tops.

Also is it better to use 1070 than two
960 oc 4 gb ?

1070 is better, hands down. 960s are probable faster but SLI is simply not worth it in most cases.

Now is it ok to put OS on SSD 960 EVo
m.2 500 GB?

It’s more than OK. Pretty much a must.

I have now overclocked 3930k to 4.2
GHz as far as I can see nothing too
much beter is on market.

There’s a lot of better stuff out there (8700k | 9900k) but since your have a 3930k, you should be fine for quite a while.

for maybe 30% speed more but price is
150%…

Precisely.

thanks bro for fast reply. I will buy this 1070 if he give me good price. Also I am looking after new year to buy new computer because I am going to western europe and I can take tax free (10-15% cheaper it will be) I am looking these computer parts and I found that i7 8700k on begining was 400 euro than on end of april it was believe or not 280 euros and now is 420 euros? I dont get it is there a month or a day in year that is better to buy these stuff? after new year, quartals, chinese new year xD :slight_smile: Also my 960oc 4gb is more expensive than 2 years before, if you find it…
Also SLI does it help in VR and htc VIVE? or generation 10 of gtx is enough single for decent view in VR?

I found that i7 8700k on begining was
400 euro than on end of april it was
believe or not 280 euros and now is
420 euros?

280 Euro for a new 8700k is a great deal. Around 400 now in Europe.

I dont get it is there a month or a
day in year that is better to buy
these stuff?

There are Black Friday equivalents in Europe a.k.a. Cyber Mondays usually in November / December. Prices also drop when a new line of products is (or is about to be) released. One would expect a 5-10% drop normally; with 9900k having just arrived, there should be a small nudge in Intel processor prices.

There are always Christmas / New Year deals to consider, you just need to be vigilant. Google tech deals, you might get lucky. There must something similar to this for Europe:

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/

When it comes to SLI / Crossfire. UE4 does not support it natively as far as I know. Not sure what’s the situation for VR - not my field.

nothing, he doesnt sell it :frowning: now I gotta make new config. for new year :slight_smile: can you tell me what to look at motherboard and what one would you recommend? It has to have m.2 slot because my p9x79 believe or not doesnt have…

Your question is too broad to answer directly, the motherboard type will be dictated by the CPU type, the amount of RAM you need, whether you need SLI, case size and so on, additional features you require…

I’ve been sending people here for years now, can’t recommend it enough:

It’s still quite alive and up to date.

1 Like

This answer was simply incredible. There needs to be an Unreal Answers Hall-of-Fame so we can honor this properly!

Thanks so much @DarthPJB

Guys I am in pain, I need help. I have overclocked 3930K to 4.4G it works perfect with 16G of ram gtx 960. But I cant put SSD m.2. on my old 8 years motherboard. I use it mostly for 3ds max, unreal, revit and things like that, but this 3930k there is no much better CPU on market 8 years later… i9 is overpriced. I now want to buy HTC VIVE for realtime VR to present projects on it. Real question is DO I NEED NEW MACHINE. Can gtx 960 and this config take stress from VIVE?
I made some config but not sure is it worth it.
-i7 8700K - 420 €
-Noctua D15 -86 € OR 14s noctua 65 € (i have d14 it is great)
-RTX 2060 gigabyte - 370 € OR 1070 8GB asus 320 € ( i need more memory)
-DDR4 I now have ddr3 16 GB and I need more for really heavy scenes
So i am going to 32 GB kit 2x16 LPX corsair but not sure witch speed 3200 - 225€ OR 3000 - 195€ OR 2666 - 175€ I am not sure that I would feel difference between these what do you think.
-Seagate 2t HDD
-have SSD EVO 960 500G laying around desk M.2. cant stick on motherboard
-EVGA G3 750 W -125 € is it big difference between gold and platinum???
Case at top 60€ (realy dont care about look)
so in most expensive case 1500€ but I would take tax free from another country 15% that is 250€ less
Take it or use VIVE on gtx 960?

Depending on your budget, having a PC where you can both develop and test the game without unrealistic expectations of user hardware is a good way to go. If you can afford it, buy a class rig. But just remember you need to be able to test the game on a viable system, something a regular player in your audience would have. Generally something mid-range is sufficient since UE4 has a lot of player options for optimizing performance right out of the box.

well I just got test VIVE™ | VIVE Ready Computers and my gtx 960 is bottleneck. Now I want to do steam test to see SteamVR Performance Test on Steam is it going anywere. I am thinking of changing just motherboard then what about memory, cpu… well one leads to another thing. But If I change GPU and need SSD I will have to buy new one.

here is a test…

and on OC it is 3.4 I am not sure anymore that I need new configuration :smiley: