What are the ideal PC requirements for UE4?

I’m not sure I understand why my CPU usage is maxed out when I build lighting. I’m running a i7 9700 3.0 Ghz with 18g of ram, a 1TB SSD and I have an Nvidia GEFORCE 1660Ti. What should I do to optimize and reduce my CPU usage? My level is small and sparsely populated with stationary static meshes and I only have 1 light source and two point lights, also stationary.

For me i think a must is : have enough VRAM ,
in my case when back when i had only 4 GB , the editor would crash a lot.
I couldn’t edit a lot of Blueprints/Materials/Static Meshes at the same time without having to fear i’d run out of VRAM & crash.

• i recommend closing any background stuff you don’t realy need, it will stable the FPS a bit.
  • RAM is also important. i have 32, most people will say you don’t need that much BUT, hey if you you make stuff, 32 is not a lot trust me.
  • it is good for if you need to run multiple projects at the same time.
  • if you can, put your Ue4 Editors on a SSD and also your Projects.
    For lightmass there is a setting in World Settings : “Static Lighting Level Scale” put this on 4 or higher for large scenes. it can help a lot.
    If you can don’t use to many lights.

What i also found to help a lot to stabilise is this command :
r.Streaming.PoolSize (put the amout of VRAM you have HERE) for example 4000 for 4 GB and hit enter.
r.Streaming.PoolSize 4000 ENTER.

An other thing that would stabilse a lot is : SAVE a Lot ! And Bake & Save. Save a lot when you Sculpt Landscapes.

Hope this helps.

Also my desktop build is coming along slow and steadily, well i have achieved a GTX 1080Ti as well as a 1200 watt power supply by corsair and a Designer TR4 motherboard i supports up to 4 GPUs, also 8 X DDR4 ram sticks up to 128 gigs of ram as next year after new years i am thinking purchasing a pack of 4 DDR4 3200 speed 64 gigs of ram for 699 from scorptec, also as my motherboard is a TR4 AMD up to 32 core but i could go for 16 core compatible, also regarding Hardrives i go for samsung SSD 4TB well their not too over priced one 4 TB ssd c drive for windows second 4TB ssd i use that for all my favorite UE4 Launcher twinmotion and the main UE4 game Engine D drive for the third Samsung 4TB ssd Vortex mods and Skyrim se Legendary as well as fallout 4, also i also go for two 4 or 8k monitors anyway by the time i purchasing monitors everyone might be going that way, also for a chair i be game developing sitting on a gaming chair noble chairs for confort and fulling asleep dreaming what world ill create.

I’ve been looking very seriously as well , processor MUST/SURE spot on, mtb no idea I’m going cheap but good w/micro for now, but imho make sure ( IF you are still monitoring this that is!) it has wifi just as a backup, usb3.1 gen 2 , and as fast /LARGE ssd as you can manage .Also I’ve seen gpu with like 12gb,the more the better, future proof yourself!

Get as MUCH ram a you can, as while , or so I’ve seen at answers.unrealengine , supposedly > 32gb of ram is overkill and ue won’t use it , but you are going to do alot of multitasking,so get while 32gb as a start is wonderful, getting a mtb cap of 128 total ram is NICE, i’ve yet to see a way to MAX it( unavailbility of 32gb sticks),a 64gb mtb should be fine for most.

Unless your finances atm can’t support it, I highly recommend not going with a 3.5,", so much heaver,and SO much slower than 2.5" SSD,the more expensive ones ROCK on speed , which over time will give you a much better DEV experience.

Samsung 960’s seem to be the best, not cheap no, but recommendable huge.

What you have is reallly nice,just offeriing a few suggestions for future proofing. Also , faster ram DOES help,I’ve seen it at least in games, but how it applies to game engines can’t say but I an’t imagine throwing faster ram is going to slow you down lol .

Again, you may well already have bought your new system, but if not these tips would be a good reminder depending on budget.

Cheer

Quite useful, tks!