View mode hotkeys don't work half the time

maybe i should rephrase my answer. what i actually do is kinda bash the ctrl/alt/shift hotkeys in photoshop. by bashing em, i mean i blindly press them in different orders and combos. i have a voodoo belief that if i just press alt, it doesn’t fix it. so when i bash the keys, i’m really hitting ctrl, or ctrl-shift, or alt-shift, etc etc and trying to get all of those various key combos pressed in a second or two of me bashing the keys. i really don’t know exactly what part of that fixes it, but it does. i’ve used this fix to stop the problem 100% of the time on very many different machines, so it definitely does work. i probably should try prove what exactly it is that’s fixing it. my assumption was that itw was just the fact that alt would be pressed and released in photoshop was what fixed it, but you’re saying it didn’t fix it on your machine, so who knows exactly what it is. maybe alt needs to be pressed and released twice? maybe it needs to be pressed with ctrl or shift or both? i’m not sure.

Hello,
Thanks a lot for taking the time to detail your way of doing … unfortunately, that still doesn’t work for me :frowning: I’ve tried anything I could think of when bashing Ctrl / Alt / Shift keys, and it’s still the same when switching back to UE ! I hope we’ll hear something from Epic one day, because it’s really a pain not to be able to use shortcuts for view modes :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Thanks again for your help,

Cheers.

k here’s some other stuff you should try then :

1 - bash the ctrl/alt/shift keys on both the left and right of your keyboard.

2 - do you have another piece of hardware that has ctrl/alt/shift keys that you haven’t bashed? (like a cintiq? or maybe you have ctrl/alt/shift bound to special mouse buttons? or you have more than one keyboard plugged in? )

3 - you should then try closing ALL adobe apps, including creative cloud. i personally only use PS:CS6, so it could be there are more adobe apps at fault possibly and i never found that out.

4 - then try closing ALL apps except unreal.

also this problem just occurred a couple of minutes ago on my machine. i clicked on the photoshop icon at the bottom of the screen in the taskbar, hit the ctrl / alt / shift keys a couple of times and clicked in unreal again and my keys STILL didn’t work.

so again i clicked on the photoshop icon in the taskbar, then this time i moved photoshop to my main monitor, clicked in the center of the app, then hit the ctrl/alt/shift keys again and went back to unreal and this time it fixed it.

why? i don’t truly see the difference… maybe you have to click in photoshop? or maybe it has to be on the same monitor? or maybe i didn’t hit the right combo of the ctrl/alt/shift hotkeys? not sure.

Hello :slight_smile:
I’ve checked everything, step by step, and still no view shortcuts in UE :frowning:
Too much time lost on this for now, I give up. I’ll check again in a few days, when I have some spare time … anyway, thanks a lot for taking the time trying to help, it’s much appreciated !
Regards.

Any time the hot keys stop working open the Landscape tool select Landscape, and then select Select and they will start working again.

Using UE5.1.1 and issue still persists.
System: Windows10.0.19043, RTX4000 GPU, Dual monitors over PCoIP (10Zig Teradici hardware connection to workstation)

The Fix for me was making sure Photoshop was closed. No amount of alt/ctrl/shift clicking in Photoshop fixed the alt view modes shortcuts in UE5.

Reproducible for me:

• UE5 open, with project loaded. (No Photoshop open) alt3/4 switches Unlit/lit just fine.
  • Start Photoshop, and immediately go back to UE5, and press alt3/4 I get about 1 view mode switch in before something in the Photoshop loading blocks the UE5 shortcut. So, something is loading from Photoshop within the first few seconds which causes the issue.
  • I close Photoshop, and immediately the shortcuts work again back in UE5

Hopefully this helps! :slight_smile:

Still relevant in 2023, thanks!

unreal 4.1.1 - same problem. Just updated to 5.2 - still won’t work. Option+3, for example, works in editor, BUT stops working when a level is playing. Rearranged the thing that I need to few different keys and combos – still won’t work. Previously it was working on UE 4.1.1 and 4.1… But for some reason broke on 4.1.1 – I’ve finished a project, everything was fine. Started a new one - and can’t change viewmode with hotkeys since then. Also in do not work now on all of my previous projects
MAC OS, M1 air, Ventura 13.4
But console command (viewmode unlit) works fine.

Same Issue, unreal 5.3

Just confirming that the problem manifested for me on 5.3, and going into Photoshop and hitting ALT and SHIFT (separately) a bunch seems to have fixed it right away. I also closed Photoshop, so it could be that too.

Best guess is that the application is stealing hotkey focus for some reason.

1 Like

Still having the same issue with UE 5.1 and UE5.3 all the shortcuts, keybinds, hotkeys or whatever you call them related to assets like (ctrl+B), (ctrl+D) …etc not working at all and it results in loosing time to do basic things :confused: