Very easy and simple "Doom like" sprite based character

Thanks so much. What you have reported is very important to me and has led to new ideas. ) Unfortunately, I don’t have time to check it yet, but I hope that’s what I need. By the way, almost all my sprites are not square, but of different sizes. Perhaps it makes sense to make them square to auto generate mip-maps.

Hello,

thank you for this tutorial. it is exaclty what i am looking for. But it doesnt seem to be working for me. i use the TopDownBlueprint and the flipbook does not change when i rotate the character. It is a wasd based movement system where the mouse rotates the character.
May you help me?

Can you make a video showing the problem? With only that picture is hard to tell what’s going on.

Also, have you tried it with the First Person template? I think the problem has to do with calculating the DotProduct in WorldSpace so the local rotation of the camera doesn’t affect the angle, something like this happened to me with projectiles.

Hello, I have got a problem with Flipbook Angle function… In this function where I trying to connect Flipbook Component to SetRelativeRotation it says next: “Paper Flipbook Object Reference is not compatible with Component Object Reference”

The text explains what it’s happening, you’re trying to use the wrong type of SetRelativeRotation. You need the one for Components and connect it to your Flipbook Component. When you Right Click with Context Search ON and write SetRelativeRotation choose the one with the name of your Flipbook Component in parenthesis and Unreal Engine will paste both the function with the component linked together.

That’s always the trick to be sure, names in parenthesis after the Function means it’s for components.

Hey , truly appreciate all the hard work you put into this post and the great answers to questions. Quick question- when you address the portion of animations resetting when turning, i’m not quite getting what your solution is. I dont see where the time of the flipbook is being queried in the BP or how you set up the footstep sounds, and i’d really like to know how you did it. I checked your youtube channel (and subscribed btw ;D) but dont see the solution for this.

How could I have my enemy character turn whilst being in the correct part of the walking/idle animation? would it be possible to peek at your BPs guts? thank you for all your dedication to this thread through the years.

A pity, I’m interested in the tutorial, but I can’t see any image.

Made 2 Material-Functions for Sprites:

Much more user and performance friendly.

2 Likes