Vehicle physics problem

Ok, fixed it, give me a minute to upload (Mediafire’s captcha isn’t working…)

The problem was your root bone, 4 wheel bones, and the steering wheel bone were rotated by -90 degrees on the Z-Axis. Also the bones were not centered to the tire, which would have made a wobbly wheel. I tried to get as centered as possible for you.

I left the bones in even though said to remove them, only because I know it worked for me before, didn’t want to test a new way on .

I also set it up so that the X-axis is forward (which is needed also).

Here is the file in MAX format:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/ijsulr8gt2a15kn/Kart.max

And here in FBX:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/axi59x1a90f22st/Kart.FBX

Just re-import, create the physics box/sphere’s, and you’re good to go.

First off, thanks a lot for your time.

So you’re telling me UE4 messed up becuase of a 90° rotation? Ok, that’s kind of strict.

Ok, we’ll recheck if everything is ok now. Thanks again for helping us.

is what is happening:

Did you set all 4 wheels and the steering wheel as Kinematic? And the chassis as Default?

I imported into my game and have it running just fine…

Yes, I set all 4 wheels as Kinematic, and the Chassis as Default. I deleted the Wheel bone.

if you deleted the steering wheel bone (you mean in 3dsmax right?) then you will have to re-skin the vehicle as the weights on the steering wheel were set to weight 1. if you delete the bone, the weights stay the same, and that is why the car is flipping over.

Try using the FBX I sent you, it does work.

No, I deleted the collision sphere on the Wheel bone.

Again, I just did the same thing (deleted the sphere on the steering wheel) and have no issues. Please try the fbx

I downloaded the FBX and I used it.

And lose the steering wheel. You can bring it in later on as a static mesh, attach to the car and adjust its rotation depending on front wheel angle.

Yes, I deleted the steering wheel physic body.

Not the physics body…in 3ds Max. Either Attach it to the body(which wont let you animate it later on) or make it a separate mesh and export later.

In scenario, would you need to have the wheels as separate objects? or just a separate element of the main mesh? I would like to try way out for my ferrari when I have it completed. Thanks!

re-read your quote and I get it now :slight_smile: I had attached the wheels (as has the kart being made here) into one component, so the wheels would need to be detached first.

They need to be separate objects. So you’ll have 5 meshes in the scene in your modeling software: Body + 4 wheels. Set every object’s pivot point accordingly, Link the wheels to the body and that’s it. It is pretty straigtforward really. I rigged and imported my first ever vehicle like following 's tutorials and it worked like a charm.

Thanks , that saves so much time wasted on bone setup/weighting, etc etc… So much simpler! :slight_smile:

When you import it back into UE4, do you select the check box for “Combine Mesh”? or is that not necessary?

It works, but it doesn’t go on the ground. Why?

http://puu.sh/a2LMV/b4a609fa54.jpg

No, it’s not necessary. Just make sure you enable Import Rigid Mesh and Import Meshes in Bone Hierarchy. Also make sure you select Skeletal Mesh tab in the import dialog, otherwise the engine will see it as a static mesh at first.

You need to raise the collision box of the body above wheel level it seems.

It doesn’t work.

Make the box scaled way down, and pull it up on the z axis until it is inside your car… so bottom of the box touching or completely inside the car. the underside of the car, and scale it to fit the length and width also.

Have you also created all of the blueprint’s needed such as RearWheels, FrontWheels blueprints? have you set the tire diameter in those blueprints?

Please read through the following article, and make sure everything else is set properly. There is a lot more to it than just the physics asset.

.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Physics/Vehicles/VehicleUserGuide/

And about it being above the floor, mine does the same, simulating here for a vehicle won’t tell you too much, you need to get everything else set up and then drive it in game to see what will happen then