Upcoming Push for dynamic GI after Neo & Scorpio Announcements?

That’s still a screen space effect

Sure, but what’s wrong with screen space , especially that advanced as in the link ? Most of the cool real-time stuff in CryEngine is screen space based :slight_smile:

Let’s say you have red wall in the game world that is on your screen’s left area. Light hits the wall and the light bounces around it and makes the floor around the wall reddish. You then turn your view to the right, the red wall disappears from sight and the floor suddenly changes it’s colour from red to whatever it naturally is. That’s what is wrong with screen space .

Or you have a room with a window and sunlight coming through, you turn around and the room goes black

I see. So CryEngine uses true non-screen space real-time GI ?

Yeah, Voxel based GI with 2 modes. But it’s far from perfect. In first mode you have only single bounce and specular calculated not from voxel lighting, but from separate manually placed light probes like UE4. In second mode you get multiple bounces and specular, but it’s not so dynamic anymore - dynamic objects won’t contribute to GI(Will receive it though) and you can’t move big contributors to the lighting freely. Docs says sun update might work if moving really slowly, but it’s kinda wonky.

Hereis documentation itself

And you want a perfect solution? :slight_smile:

When I played Crysis 3, it never occurred to me that something is up with lighting. It ran ok on my PC and looked stunning even with everything at medium.

There’s no way any decent DGI solution is going to be multi-platform, and SVOGI wasn’t either. If you’re looking for a scalable DGI solution that extends to Mobile, HTML5, then to Console and Finally to PC, you are completely out of your tree.

VXGI is almost definitely going to be faster. SVOGI’s requiremetns we’re NOT low. SLI’d GTX 680’s for an ‘acceptable’ framerate last time I checked?

Crysis 3 only had dynamic GI from sunlight too.

VXGI is an all-around solution

We could just ask epic to take AHR and run with it (sorry for the outdated expression) Realtime Dynamic GI + Reflections + AO + Emissive plugin - AHR - Game Development - Epic Developer Community Forums

Sorry but I strongly disagree. :eek:
I’m getting almost 60 FPS on a GTX 970. There are countless meshes in here:

I get 78 FPS without G.I

I get 60 FPS with VXGI just with a bunch of trees in a small level only.
Of course reducing map size and other settings help gain FPS but at that point the quality is nothing near SVOTI.

It doesn’t need to support mobile or html5.

SVOGI was coded almost 4-5 years ago, I’m pretty sure if they had kept working on it, made it open source, other solo devs would’ve optimized parts of it and it would’ve ran much faster today.

you see games like Days Gone with a modified UE4. No doubt a big part of the modified is for GI and yet we are here debating about whether if we should or not.

like seriously?

I would like to add that DFAO could only work in high-end games before years of additional updates and now it runs on PS4 and Xbox.
There is no “can only work”. That saying only exists for things you don’t put resources into aka You create your own impossibilities.

E3 videos are like unicorns beatifuls but irreals And dinamic sun light with black shadows in a quiet forest is not Gi. :wink:

i never claimed it had gi in that gameplay. just that the lighting was modified and probably for ‘gi’ in some fashion.

No, there are physical limits to what hardware is capable of, you’re not going to get lucky and have a breakthrough that runs perfect dynamic GI on low-end hardware.

Are you sure is without GI ? Cryengine use LPV when no use VXGI and the both are GI.
No GI = total black shadows.

There are no total black shadows after turning G.I off and that’s because there are still environment probs placed throughout the level. The screen I posted is with GI enabled though, not sure why you expected total black shadows there.

Having no real time G.I because of the users who still run on outdated hardware is like agreeing that PC graphics should be held back because of consoles. :confused: