"Unrecognized tab" opens when creating new Variable

I have this “unrecognized tab error” now. I am working in UE4 version 4.16.3.
→ Ok, I just restarted Unreal that fixed the issue for me :slight_smile:

That worked for me too.

I was getting the “Unrecognised Tab” window.

Thank you very much, this solves the problem.
I am using 4.18.3

I believe unrecognised tab appears when that window (For example game blueprintclass) doesn’t have any events or an empty events graph. When it’s (data only), it just tries to show the details panel only, since there’s no point in showing the events graph, but it still opens a very annoying empty window expressing ‘Unrecognised tab’, which is dammed annoying…

Not in my case. Once in a blue moon this happens to me on a random blueprint, even with many events and event graphs. I just restart the editor and it fixes itself.

Ditto for me.

Also happened when using the right-click Finding References options with variables. A “unrecognized tab” appears next to the Compiler Results tab.

This solved it for me too! ver 4.20

Thanks!

This kept happening to me too and it seems like this happens when you open child bp when there’s dirty (uncompiled) parent of that child bp open.

Hi guys!

I found this video where the bug happens. The video in not especicly about the issue and apparently, the autor of the same doesn’t pay any attention to the matter, but I hope it maybe could give a clue to you.

It starts in between min 1:40 and 1:50 just when he promotes to variable the ‘new mesh’ option. After that it happens a couple of times more in min 3:20.

I experienced the same but not much ago, in Ver 4.20 but the 'reset layout' solution fixed it to me.

Hope this can help.

Cheers!

1 Like

This worked to resolve the issue for me. Perhaps you can move this to the top of the posting, so it is easier to find.

Still happening in 4.21, when I open the third person game mode, it always gives me the unrecognized error. I close it and no issues, but each time I open the game mode it goes straight to that warning.

4.25 works like a charm. THANK YOU!

2021 and this still worked as a fix for this bug in 4.24 :slight_smile:

had same problem in 4.26 in 2021 and solution worked perfecly!

It seems that it happens when using a custom layout. It just started happening to me all of a sudden with 4.26 and I’ve been using a custom layout for years. So this would be the way to reproduce the issue. In my case, I’ve docked the toolbar and perspective view over on my left (secondary) monitor and the blueprint editor on the right (primary).

Version 4.27.2 and it still happening. In my case I made the mistake of opening the sequencer graph editor in a blueprint and from that moment every time I go from Designer to Graph a window opens with the graph editor and a legend saying “urecognized tab”. Luckily the “Load Layout Defaults” solution works well and fixes the problem. Thank you very much!

Version 4.27.2 again same mistake, error and solution “Window / Load Layout / Default Editor Layout”.

Thank you guys for solution.

Another fixing method seems to be: just “dock” unrecognized tab somewhere, and only then close it, and it should not appear again.

UE5.0.3

POSSIBLE SOLUTION: Drag out the window to make it a separate window element.

DO NOT close it by clicking the [x] button, but right click on the “U” Unreal Engine icon (top left of that specific window). a classical older style context menu will open where you’ll click on “CLOSE”.

This worked for me. I don’t know it’s gonna do it for you. I hope it’s helpful to someone.
Had this issue in all my UMG editors after clicking on the CURVE editor for the animation. The curve editor tab opened, as I closed, nothing happened. But as soon as I opened again a UMG or just switched from GRAPH to DESIGNER, the Unrecognized window would appear.

EDIT March 2023: If this doesn’t work, try moving the Tab in another place near another tab and leave it there, then see if closing the main window (Not UE entirely, just the Blueprint or Widget) and see if it reappears when you open it back. Sometimes you have to close it while it’s not detached and sometimes when it’s detached. It’s really a weird behaviour.

Have a nice day people! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks, It worked. I was facing this issue when I was opening any widget BP.