Unreal Engine Performance

1./2. in my opinion the performance in the UE4 is much better -> not the editor performance, but the one in the standalone game
3. the UE4 has more bugs, because it gets updated frequently -> but when you report them epic games will fix it (but in my opinion those bugs/crashes dont slow down your development process :slight_smile: )
4. Yes! With the UE4 you get a AAA engine with source code access, a friendly and helpful community, support from epic games and cool features like blueprints
5. with the right settings you can achieve a very good fps rate -

It is very much an engine, one which they are trying to make more user friendly for the indie scene, but in doing that even AAA studio’s will benefit. Things like hot reload and so forth also make big studio’s lives better when working with engine.

Do no wait for UE5, that is a few years away, in the meantime you will learn a lot of important things that can carry over to UE5.

Even Unity has bugs when they release new updates.

Hi ,
The engine is not as finished as UDK3 , but it is coming. Epic are aware of bugs , but they can’t afford to correct bugs only during two or three moths , so will be progressively done.Also many people uses Unreal 4 for big commercial projects and some are already very advanced. So you can consider it seriously if you are motivated enought.

I have some old Radeon 3D card and i have no problem with Unreal 4.Here is some very important points to develop with Unreal 4 i would recommend :

• 8 Go RAM minimum
  • SSD drive (it improves a lot some editor loadings like like materias list)
    should boost the editor.

Good luck.

Then you have 3 options:
a) Use another engine
b) Build your own engine
c) Don’t start a game studio

a) and b) don’t give you less bugs. I have more crashes with unity than with ue 4.6.

So you should think about c :wink:

@OP: Have you tried other engines?

They all have their problems, I for one would rather pay for an engine as I know the company has a vested interest in sorting out the issues because they are taking my money. A lot of engines have gone MIT and it eventually ended up in only a select few having input and getting new features added and the masses just having to accept it … happened to me … I mad the move to UE4 and I have never been happier.

As a previous poster mentioned, why not create a thread in the Feedback portion of the and provide some valuable feedback. Epic appreciate feedback … failing that, I suggest you do as DaEmpty says and choose another engine.

Good luck.

My 2 cents: As caner_ozdemir mentioned, I would go with an Intel/Nvidia system even if it costs more not just for UE4 but in general. As far as independent development, pick an engine version and stick with it all the way through to the end of the project (ie 4.6.1.) and mold your project to fit that version’s capabilities. A lot of the bugs occur when people upgrade their project to the latest version and the blueprints or coding no longer work the same way anymore as new features are added. More ambitious independent developers are working off the latest version of the engine through GitHub and can request the change list for when a bug is addressed without having to wait for the latest version of the engine to be released -although they still have to pay the monthly fee continuously. Finally, if you are an actual developer with deep pockets, you have the option to be an actual licensee and Epic will fix your bugs on the fly as you experience them and provide you the change list for that specific fix. As you can see, the flexibility and stability of the engine increases with the amount you pay which is a reasonable business model.