Unreal Engine 4 starts very slow

1 Like

So here is my DefaultEngine.ini of project itself:

http://www.file-upload/download-10440139/DefaultEngine.ini.html

1 Like

What version of engine you have?

1 Like

Ok I belive that you have to modify BASEENGINE.ini like in my picture (located inside your ENGINE folder not in YOUR PROJECT)

1 Like

Hey Missu, well I’ve already changed my BaseEngine.ini it actually haven’t improved anything. I’m really wondering why UE4 always have to initialize that much and also over and over again, when you start engine. first time it takes very long to load is at 35%, in case this helps?

PS: Here is a screenshot of BaseEngine.ini as well: https://i.imgur.com/ZDsHlmH.png

and here is also DefaultEngine.ini file of my project:
http://www.file-upload/download-10440139/DefaultEngine.ini.html
(in case you didn’t find it in previous messages Rudy)

I currently use UE 4.7.2

Best regards

1 Like

Try to go inside BaseEngine and change bAllowAsynchronousShaderCompiling=False and NumUnusedShaderCompilingThreads=0

1 Like

I am really sorry maybe your operating system has something wrong…maybe in MSCONFIG → BOOT → ADVANCED OPTIONS you need to uncheck num of processor

1 Like

Looks like it also doesn’t work, this is so weird. But it has something to do with initializing UE4 editor files I assume. Because it always need a long time to initialize editor/engine and it looks like it have to regenerate it everytime I start engine. Like you already said.

best regards

1 Like

Hello ,

When you start up a project do you see full version number? It will look something like 4.7.3-2479750. Or do you see shortened version of this number (4.7.3)? When a project is booted up for first time it tends to take a little longer and it will show full version number. If this full number is showing every time it would mean that you project may not be initializing incorrectly.

1 Like

Hey Rudy,

so I made a screenshot of engine loading and project loading window. So you will see it says 4.7.2.

Editor:

Project:

best regards

1 Like

Hey frazer why don’t you reinstall operating system…?

1 Like

Same problem here. UE4 is great but I’ve never thought it was so buggy.

1 Like

Atleast I’m not only one with problem.

best regards

1 Like

Hello ,

Sorry it has taken so long to get back to you. I have been looking into your issue. After some digging I have found a known issue (UE-8439) that I am looking into that may be related to issue that you are seeing. I also wanted to check in and see if any of updates to engine/launcher have made a difference in your situation.

1 Like

Same here! Paper2d project and since 4.8 it takes 5 sec to go to 95% and then it gets stuck there for 10 minutes until it finally loads up. Mind you that i have zero 3d stuff (like complex materials,lighting etc) that could warrant such a delay.

And another weird thing that i am positive that is related to above issue is this:

When it finally loads up and i press play(standalone window or simulate) preview starts in less than a second. Now if i change ANYTHING on an old BP that has references all over my game (by anything i mean even to uncheck a setting or to just edit a comment) then it takes 5 minutes(!!!) to start preview .If i create a new blueprint with no references it lets me edit crap out of it without affecting performance whatsoever .

It seems that there is a big bug hidden in there that re-calculates everything whenever we change something. This makes active development almost impossible.

1 Like

Does UE4 use multiple cores?

Mine is running on 32GB RAM DDR3, 32 Core 3.4Ghz and 8(2x4) GBGDDR5 295x2 machine with upto 4Gbps speed SSD .
And guess what…I have to wait about an hour for it to go through a simple import of a basic 4k poly geometry or when its doing it"processing outstanding changes 0 of 1" and it will remain frozen that way for awhile.
It makes me wonder if its trying to use on board graphics instead of real one since my on board is 16mb.

1 Like

Any news regarding this? 10 minutes to load my paper2d game? log says that 99% of 10 minutes is “discovering assets” . And my question is. Why Unreal searches for same assets EVERY time i load my project?

1 Like

Hello ,

Could you try launching cmd argument -ddc=noshared and see if this helps with your issue? Are you in 4.7.6 or 4.8?

1 Like

Where should i run this cmd argument? Could you please explain it to me in a little more detail? Thank you

1 Like

Hello ,

You will need to go to where your project is stored and create a short cut to uproject and then you will need to open up its properties. Once there you will include a path to engine that you are using within quotes at beginning of target path (please note: that you will need a space at end of engine path after ending quotation and before project path). You will then place command after project path. A space will be needed between project path and cmd argument. I have provided an example.

Example:

![46139-ddcachehelp2.png

Below you will see an example of what entire target path should look like.

" -ddc=noshared

Make it a great day

1 Like