Unreal Engine 4 is available for Win10 UWP app dev now

We’re currently having issues attempting to boot our Win10 title in offline mode.

Is there any configuration we need to make to allow our title to run offline? Currently when we call SystemUI::ShowAccountPickerAsync() when offline, it throws a bunch of internal exceptions (inside Microsoft.Xbox.Services.dll) and warns of an incorrect parameter.

Exception thrown at 0x00007FFFD4199E08 (KernelBase.dll) in MyGame.exe: 0x40080201: WinRT originate error (parameters: 0x0000000080070057, 0x000000000000001D, 0x00000003DF74C520).
Exception thrown at 0x00007FFFD4199E08 in MyGame.exe: Microsoft C++ exception: Platform::InvalidArgumentException ^ at memory location 0x00000003DF74CAF0. HRESULT:0x80070057 The parameter is incorrect.
WinRT information: The parameter is incorrect.

Our parameters into ShowAccountPickerAsync are the same in both online and offline mode, so I believe it’s failing internally.

@anonymous_user_1267f45c - the question about what the recommendations are around accounts for testing in the Creators Program is not one I know the answer to. Sounds like a good one to take directly to the Creators Program folks.

@Sparkash - as you’ve discovered our current implementation doesn’t really support offline Live sign-in on Win10. If you’d like to change that then you’ll need to crack open the EraAdapter project. If you look at ShowAccountPickerAsync in SystemUI.cpp it relies on a successful call to GetUserProfileAsync in order to return a valid user. This is to ensure that it can populate the user’s DisplayInfo member with data that is a reasonable match for Xbox One, but it’s also where offline breaks down. If your project can do without some of the data in DisplayInfo then you could implement a return path that doesn’t rely on the GetUserProfileAsync call succeeding.

@ - This link Xbox test accounts - Microsoft Game Development Kit | Microsoft Learn states that I can “create some”:

The problem is I don’t see how to “create some” without possibly purchasing more :expressionless:

There shouldn’t be any need to purchase. A regular free MSA will have everything you need to test Creators Program features.

If I understand correctly, I should create new accounts, and assign the accounts under Dev Center. Is that correct?
What about gamertags? Will a default value be provided?

UPDATE:
When I try to add “Another User” on Windows 10, and log that user in, Windows reports that “the user profile failed the sign-in”.

Is there an easy fix for this?

I find that the best way to switch between dev accounts is to use the Xbox App on Windows. Open that up and sign out inside the app (but don’t sign out of Windows). Next time you start an Xbox Live enabled app such as your game it will pop up the Xbox sign-in UI, and you can use one of your newly created test accounts. If the account doesn’t already have a Gamertag it should get a generated one as part of this process.

This sounds great, and I almost have it working. What is Windows Hello (I’m looking now):

e7b4547a67ea2280352fbe4b97a1214eb7ee7ff1.jpeg

I got it. . .it’s the PIN I use for my account.

@ - Thank you for those instructions. It is a much easier work flow. Do the accounts have to be added to my desktop or can I omit that step?

Can I just set the account up and access it from the Sign-In screen?

EDIT:
Rather nice that I can complete the setup of a new account from the Sign-In screen. Correction. It is working now :slight_smile:

And I can see my Leaderboard with multiple players :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Thanks @, we made some modifications to EraAdapter to deal with the offline situation.

Where are an installed game logs kept at?

It appears that the UWP application is installed in WindowsApps; Win64 logs and crash reports are stored in AppData\Local; but I can’t find the UWP game logging files.

EDIT
For anyone else that may be interested: Device Portal File Explorer provides fairly easy access to the files for the installed application:

Hey

Question not directly related to UWP, but since here most people MS look I have question.

Did you guys tried to run unreal server on Windows Server Nano (preferable option) or Windows Server Core ?
I’ve been trying to set it up (and then later create container based on windows nano and unreal server). But to no avail. I just couldn’t get it to run or to check what dependencies I might be missing.

Hi, anyone encountered and resolved this error? Even i when copy all the required .xsd files from Windows SDK, it still fails on ‘unrecognized argument’. Using Visual Studio 2017 Community (15.2).

UATHelper: Packaging (UWP (x64-64bit)): UnrealBuildTool: ERROR: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file ‘C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Xml\Schemas\UapManifestSchema.xsd’.

I’m trying to build latest uwp branch and there is an error:

EXEC : error : System.ArgumentException: An item with the same key has already been added.
9> at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentException(ExceptionResource resource)
9> at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary2.Insert(TKey key, TValue value, Boolean add) 9> at UnrealBuildTool.UEBuildTarget.Build(BuildConfiguration BuildConfiguration, CPPHeaders Headers, List1 OutputItems, List`1 UObjectModules, ActionGraph ActionGraph) in C:\Data\MICROSOFT_UWP_UNREAL\Engine\Source\Programs\UnrealBuildTool\Configuration\UEBuildTarget.cs:line 2403
9> at UnrealBuildTool.UnrealBuildTool.RunUBT(BuildConfiguration BuildConfiguration, String] Arguments, FileReference ProjectFile) in C:\Data\MICROSOFT_UWP_UNREAL\Engine\Source\Programs\UnrealBuildTool\System\UnrealBuildTool.cs:line 1396
9>C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V140\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets(41,5): error MSB3075: The command “…..\Build\BatchFiles\Build.bat UE4Editor Win64 Development -waitmutex” exited with code 5. Please verify that you have sufficient rights to run this command.

Hi there,
I try to compile the mixedreality branch but I’m stuck on the first step because the Setup.bat script tries to download a file with a name with more than 260 characters.
Despite this error, I tried to run GenerateProjectFiles.bat but errors here too. The namespace Metadata doesn’t exists.

This is a screenshot of all errors

https://forums.unrealengine.com/filedata/fetch?filedataid=116735&type=thumb

Is anyone was able to compile this branch? Or maybe can someone send me a link to a working build?

Thanks!

Looks like microsoft is giving devs more resources for Xbox development :slight_smile:

Just came here to post this! Amazing news, going to have to pick up an XB1s.

Yep same here. :slight_smile:

Apologies for laziness, but there are 38 pages to go through, but I have questions :

Is the toolchain for deploying UE projects onto an XB1 via UWP reasonably straightforward/reliable now?

Are there any remote debugging facilities?

Good news, but UE4 still doesn’t support deployment to UWP out of the box.

Yup I get that, but without wading through 38 pages, I wanted to know how well this UWP branch works.

Guess I can clone it later and give it a go myself…