Unreal Engine 4.23 Preview

that might be the reason why its not working for you, it says it has to be compiled from source, but I dont see the fracture tools when i compile from source

Been using SSGI for a few months from the dev-rendering branch, did that not make it to the official 4.23 version? Or was it just left out of the notes? Thanks for the updates!

Can’t wait to try the new physics engine. :slight_smile:

I have this issue as well… Most of that issue with RTX being on is because the Tessellation could be on in the material. That’s one of the issues found on my end at least

yet building from source takes forever, like almost all day (I have it on an external hard drive because of the large file sizes)

It’s there for you to enable via console variable (like it before), but it’s not a feature we’re calling out for 4.23. Right now, it’s targeted at 4.24 and is still being worked on for performance and quality. As you’ve probably noticed, it’s still expensive to use.

Is animation streaming related to alembic files? (hopefully)

I just enabled Virtual Texturing on all landscape textures.
Results:

• GPU memory consumption is 300MB less.
  • FPS went slightly down. (~0.5ms)
  • Shader viewer reports that near landscape is more complex. It went from red to purple in the surrounding areas.

Edit:
It is intended that 4.23 creates a folder named “DerivedDataCache” inside the project folder? Think that should go into the AppData folder.

Has anyone successfully gotten the Chaos Destruction plugin to work? If so did you have to build from source?

Will Epic implement a new vehicle physics system with the full release of Chaos? Because, probably old physx vehicles will probably not work as it seems its a brand new physics solver.

from all the videos I have watched, they are saying Chaos is an entire physics system created to replace physx.

Edit: we are only getting the destruction system first

I don’t understand why they don’t want to implement a ECS environment, some kind of “minimal game framework”, for games that might not need the full blown OOP Game Framework while they can build a new physics engine from the ground up.

Legacy PhysX will probably be kept in UE4 for some versions otherwise anything using it should be quickly updated to Chaos… Also if Chaos is for destructibles only in its initial version then it is going to take probably 1 if not 2 years to see PhysX completely replaced for everything (let’s speculate that maybe by UE 4.29 or 4.30 Chaos will be fully complete and PhysX gets removed)

Niagara and Raytracing (shadows) will make me happy. Right direction. Only one feature request (question?) how to pass float array from Blueprint? It exposed only to set float, color etc, but not arrays. Thanks!

Even building the engine from source, still same crash when trying to fracture a geometry collection.

Please add in skeleton, rig and skin creation within the engine itself. Having to use another application for this is too cumbersome within game development workflow.

can confirm the same thing happens to me.

maybe they will do a live stream on it.

The bug report page doesn’t have 4.23 as a selectable version.