Unreal Engine 4.23 Preview

finally finish swap (reordering) for functions, event dispatcher, macros, interfaces in all drawings

Urgent heads up!

I have packaged a game, which was all OK while in editor, and all looked fine with a successful build in the end, but when running the packaged game, the simple landscape present was completely missing material (checkerboard only). While I dig some more, could anyone else confirm this? When and if I find some clue I will fill out a bug submission form, until there more insights are really appreciated!

PS: Used for test also, a package from marketplace with terrain and automaterial applied and it worked somehow. Still digging more…
PS.1: It turns out packaged will only work if you do a proper landscape material with layers, but if you apply a simple material (without layers) directly to the landscape it will show in editor, but not in a packaged game. I tested with raytracing ON and OFF, and the virtual texturing ON and OFF, the only new things which could be messing with it and in all situations the result was the same. Making a report with a demo project and repro steps.

RE: Chaos Physics

Will it support the Magnus Effect natively? It is sorely needed to properly simulate how spin forces affect the curvature and trajectory of a ball in flight (golf, tennis, soccer, baseball, etc). Here’s a quick YouTube video fully explaining the Magnus Effect with included video samples. Or just Google for “magnus effect on ball” and you will get pages of examples videos.

This would be a real game breaker for many developers and you can find many posts related to the subject on this forum. Since PhysX does not support this at all, then only workaround has been to mock up force effects but the results I’ve tried and seen are always less than stellar:(.

Thanks!

Hi, I am looking for any documentation / Information about the OpenXR Plugin.

Please Help

Hi,

What about this issue https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/869991/weird-behavior-with-stdstringstream-on-iphone-xs.html ? Will this be fixed ? We had this problem and need to build custom engine to resolve it, I believe you need to check allocators functionality for new iOS devices.

What we would all love to see at some point is true Async loading of streaming levels off the Game Thread so it does not affect Frame Rate. The heuristics don’t work well with VR. Maybe okay on PC style games where frame rate is not as significant but Mobile and VR just suffer horribly on Frame Rate loss. I’ve read about Fornite fighting this issue as well so maybe it’s time for a better implementation.

Also, while I on the subject of Stream Levels. A navigation mesh should be cooked into the level on level load or dynamic loading (clone and placed into the world) the navigation graph should be added to the outer world. Creating a seamless navigation map that is cooked. Unload would remove this portion of the graph. The only dynamics is adding/removing subgraphs. It’s a variation on run-time navigation that’s cheaper. Run-Time navigation is inconsistent when doing dynamic level loading.

Hello, do you have an idea of the 4.23 final release date?
I need THIS version for a project.

Any particular reason why this specific version?

In any case, make sure you have read and understand this information about new features: Experimental, Early Access, and Beta features in Unreal Engine

It seems like cascade particles are behaving incorrectly in this version, including in the content examples project. With a few exceptions they seem to either be positioned incorrectly (outside of the level geometry) or not display at all. Is anyone else experiencing the same thing, or is it just me? They seem to work fine in the cascade editor, but not in editor or packaged games.

Chaos. That’s the reason.

every machine we updated to 4.23 preview 5 has lost access to iOS binaries… is this a known issue? it was fine in preview 4

Anyone know where the virtual production VR Scouting tools are located?

I tested them out last night at an Epic demo and I’m eager to play with them some more!

HELP!!

It is happening for me too, though I use Niagara. Non-mesh particles seem to move to some random point (not world origin) very far away regardless of the position of the particle system, however mesh particles are unaffected.

I’ve updated my project from 4.22 to 4.23 in order to fix the Oculus Quest controller issues as per this thread: https://forums.unrealengine.com/development-discussion/vr-ar-development/1646304-oculus-quest-update-controllers-broken

4.23 fixed the controller issues but now some of my materials are black with red artefacts. These should be the white motion controller hands from the VR template. Is this a bug or something I am doing wrong? (I’m new to Unreal) See image screen casted from the Quest

Is it a known issue that 4.23 beta 5 doesn’t list iOS in Target Platforms? I tried to do a build on an iOS device and it said I needed to install the files for iOS, but it’s not listed with the other platforms in the installation options. Uninstalling 4.23 beta and reinstalling doesn’t show the option either.

Tried on the latest versions of both macOS Mojave and Catalina.

Since upgrading to 4.23 preview 5 my map now has two WorldSettings actors in it. I’m getting warnings about it pop up in map check. I’m not even sure how this is possible?

Cascade particles are messed up in the latest preview. Got cases of emitters rendering in completely off places depending on the world-space position of the component.

Also getting a warning about “NO ASYNC TICK” in the editor too for some reason, which is new to me.

I’m def also now having issues after the preview 5 update. It’s a struggle to even get my simple map with a total of 4 static meshes to even build. Lighting by itself builds ok but my shadow maps are all screwed up to hell. Using the build all button just hangs and has to be manually stopped. I believe I was good up to 4.23 preview 3 I believe. I think i’m dropping back down to 4.22 till 4.23 is complete. I am an on imac.

I have to use 4.23 to explore oculus quest dev due too their firmware update. It works but, I’m getting a crash in 4.23 preview 5.

Repro:
-Create a project - Blank, scalable 2D or 3D, No starter content, Mobile Tablet

• When it loads click the settings icon above the viewport, find ‘Preview Rendering Level’ and change it to anything but Shader Model 5.
  • Engine will crash to desktop and produce this error message:

Assertion failed: bPrimitiveDataInGPUScene || Elements[ElementIndex].PrimitiveUniformBuffer || Elements[ElementIndex].PrimitiveUniformBufferResource [File:D:/Build/++UE4/Sync/Engine/Source/Runtime/Engine/Private/SceneManagement.cpp] [Line: 1104] FMeshBatch was not properly setup. The primitive uniform buffer must be specified.

UE4Editor_Core
UE4Editor_Core
UE4Editor_Core
UE4Editor_Core
UE4Editor_Engine
UE4Editor_Renderer
UE4Editor_Engine
UE4Editor_Renderer
UE4Editor_Renderer
UE4Editor_Renderer
UE4Editor_Renderer
UE4Editor_Renderer