Unreal Engine 4.18 Released!

Any 4.18 LPV occlusion broken - Asset Creation - Epic Developer Community Forums getting into a hotfix ?

I get an error when upgrading my 4.17.2 project to 4.18, when generating the visual studio files:

[FONT=courier new]Failed to generate project files.

Running C:/Program Files/Epic Games/UE_4.18/Engine/Binaries/DotNET/UnrealBuildTool.exe -projectfiles -project=“C:/Users/RyzenAJ/Desktop/ViveShooter/Project_DD_2017/Project_DD.uproject” -game -rocket -progress
Discovering modules, targets and source code for project…
While compiling C:\Users\RyzenAJ\Desktop\ViveShooter\Project_DD_2017\Intermediate\Build\BuildRules\Project_DDModuleRules.dll:
ERROR: c:\Users\RyzenAJ\Desktop\ViveShooter\Project_DD_2017\Source\Project_DD.Target.cs(19,12) : error CS0122: ‘UnrealBuildTool.UEBuildBinaryConfiguration’ is inaccessible due to its protection level
ERROR: c:\Users\RyzenAJ\Desktop\ViveShooter\Project_DD_2017\Source\Project_DD.Target.cs(17,23) : error CS0051: Inconsistent accessibility: parameter type ‘ref System.Collections.Generic.List<UnrealBuildTool.UEBuildBinaryConfiguration>’ is less accessible than method ‘Project_DDTarget.SetupBinaries(UnrealBuildTool.TargetInfo, ref System.Collections.Generic.List<UnrealBuildTool.UEBuildBinaryConfiguration>, ref System.Collections.Generic.List<string>)’
ERROR: c:\Users\RyzenAJ\Desktop\ViveShooter\Project_DD_2017\Source\Project_DDEditor.Target.cs(19,12) : error CS0122: ‘UnrealBuildTool.UEBuildBinaryConfiguration’ is inaccessible due to its protection level
ERROR: c:\Users\RyzenAJ\Desktop\ViveShooter\Project_DD_2017\Source\Project_DDEditor.Target.cs(17,23) : error CS0051: Inconsistent accessibility: parameter type ‘ref System.Collections.Generic.List<UnrealBuildTool.UEBuildBinaryConfiguration>’ is less accessible than method ‘Project_DDEditorTarget.SetupBinaries(UnrealBuildTool.TargetInfo, ref System.Collections.Generic.List<UnrealBuildTool.UEBuildBinaryConfiguration>, ref System.Collections.Generic.List<string>)’
ERROR: UnrealBuildTool Exception: Unable to compile source files.

Thanks for now supporting special characters on mobile keyboard :slight_smile:

Try deleting your Binaries, DerivedDataCache, Intermediate and Saved folders and try again.

Arkit working building from windows now?

Tried all of it, but no luck :frowning: Moved my project to the root to shorten the path length. Packed it into and unpacked as a duplicate. Reset the DerivedDataCache. It wont generate the visual studio files…

Please check my bug report: 4.18 release source compile failed - Platform & Builds - Epic Developer Community Forums

Please check my bug report: 4.18 release source compile failed - Platform & Builds - Epic Developer Community Forums

Holy smokes! What a fantastic update. Thank you so much for all the improvements!

because the projects also use c#, I guess as helpers in the build chain. look for the cs files in a new c++ project.

Lets see if Epic gets rid of that forced .NET requirement in far future and move to C++ based helpers.

We already did the switch on Preview-3 due to the addtion of new clothing tool which was a must-have for oue project. Though, on Visual Stuodi builds we get build errors, editor still open ups and works. Linux builds are fine. Keep up the good works Epic

Why would they? There’s no whatsoever with having those dependencies.

A lot of love for limited Precomputed Lighting Scenarios. Dynamic Alternatives still do not support VR (yes high cost, but hardware never stops improving unless you’re stuck on a console). The most promising 3rd party options either get abandoned or developed for a different engine.

Dynamic Worlds, including runtime terrain modification are coming to the engine in the not too distant future, would be nice if we had a dynamic lighting as well fleshed out as Precomputed. Even baking lightmaps at runtime (Using a dynamic system be it VXAO/GI or DFAO/GI) only for certain events would be an improvement. The performance of baked lighting with the option to go dynamic temporarily for major environment changes that pre-baking can’t accommodate.

Getting a big hit to frame rate with 4.18. getting less than 1/2 of what I get in previous builds of the engine. Even on an empty level the frame rate is lower

Any improvements to Alembic support? Curious as i’m having an with materials at moment (same Sam Deiter was having in the Intro to Alembic livestream, each object in an alembic file has its own material which means a presimulated destructible mesh has hundreds of individual material IDs :frowning:

Also wanted to add Alembic Sequencer playback is wack.

Much <3 for 4.18 thanks for update

Went to test new XGE shader compilation and ran into a problem: XGEControlWorker.exe didn’t exist. Thankfully, the notes say it’s just a duplicate of ShaderCompileWorker, so I just copied and renamed it. Then IncrediBuild could do its job.

Niagara is amazing!
But…I see no way to delete the particles. i.e. they have an age but no way to kill them once it’s above certain limit. Any hints on that?

Fantastic new features!

One question: I see that you finally enabled high DPI on the editor - looks much better now. However, I get 24 fps on a default level on a MacBook Pro late 2016 with Radeon Pro 460 - not the greatest GPU, I know, but, is this expected? It seems a bit low …

I have the same model as you and I am seeing ~47 fps on the 3rd person template when the editor is maximized on a 5K display and ~83 fps on the MBP internal display.

Do you still have low fps after logging out / restarting? I heard there was a problem with High Sierra where the dGPU won’t be used after the computer has been asleep for a while, maybe you are seeing that?