Unreal Challenge: Better Light Than Never

Hey!

We’re super glad you are excited!

Providing other eligibility to enter (as per the rules) is met- if you are currently enrolled with an educational institution, whether remote, in-person, part-time, or full-time, at a large institution or a small one, you would be eligible to compete as a student! :slight_smile:

I hope this answers your question @jsfilmz and gets you even more excited for the Challenge! It’s going to be lit! :wink:

Im a bit confused due the pun - it clearly states the theme is: Better Light then never, instead of Better late then never.

Would love to get some input on what we should do with the theme / other ideas about it since it hugely affects the rating.

I’m completely unclear on what would make a certain video/environment/lighting fit or not fit the theme, I have no pointers of what the theme means atm.

1 Like

Super Excited!
I am an Environment artist but, currently working in a Studio.

Do you think i can participate ?

Thanks

Hey :slight_smile:

Much like the theme of the MegaJam, the theme is open to interpretation by participants, and you’re free to create your concept as you see fit.

The theme adds to the creative process and allows folks to think outside of the box- as such, we do not offer suggestions on how to interpret the theme.

We have found that it is sometimes a good idea not to take the theme so literally.

Good luck- we cannot wait to see what you come up with!

Hi!

Providing that you meet the eligibility criteria set out in the Official Rules and are entering as an individual, there would be no reason why you couldn’t participate! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello everybody,

I tried my best but I was not able to create a new question because there are no engine tags available. So I’m asking the question here.

I read about new developers on the challenge page.

We want to level the playing field for new developers, so we’re splitting up the event into two groups. The Unreal Challenge will award individuals overall, and specifically recognize outstanding students or new developers.

But i can’t find anything about it in the official rules. There is only something about students. I first installed Unreal Engine 5 3 months ago. So I would classify myself as a new developer.
Would be nice if it were clarified what new developers means exactly.

Best regards
Björn

First of all, thank you for giving us the opportunity to participate this challenge.

I was not able to create a new question either :frowning: so, here is my question:
Is it possible to use CC sounds from ‘freesounds’? If possible, where could be the place to give the proper autor recognition?

Thank you!

Should final videos be posted within this thread or should we create a new thread within the Unreal Challenge section? Sorry, the fourms here are abit confusing to me :sweat_smile:
Thank you!

Hi
First,I am a student contestant,My question is how to provide proof and when to submit it? Is it at the end of the challenge?
Second,Submissions cannot contain any post-production editing,Can I use movie-render plugin to export high resolution pictures and then use PR to synthesize videos? Special effects without post software

just googled swag… ■■■■ that’s a hot prize!

This challenge is really exiting and motivating! I have a few questions. Can we animate characters and if so, we have to animate them using Unreal Engine only and not Maya or 3ds Max right? Can we also have sounds and music?

Hi everyone!

I was really looking forward to it but… i just read it is not opened for individuals of Italy. How is that possible? Can Epic consider open up to excluded countries?

Hey, I have a question regarding the submission.
So are we allowed to upload multiple submissions or is it one submission per entrant?

Hey @MindCrafted_Games,

Correct, there are the 1st, 2nd, and third finalist spots overall, and then another 1st, 2nd and third for student entrants. The classification of the new developer was in conjunction with students that are new to the industry.

For future Challenges, we are looking at ways to support new developers outside of those who are students, but there are hurdles to overcome with this.

We hope this doesn’t stop you from joining the Challenge; we would love to see what you create! <3

Hey!

Thank YOU for being so interested in participating in this Challenge! :smiley:

Providing you have the necessary permissions, yes. Please refer to the “Submission Criteria” section of the Official Rules for further clarification on the use of non-original assets.

Thanks!

Hi!

Your submission should be posted within the category here’s the link. When you’re ready to submit, you can go to that category and hit new discussion-
From here, it will open up the template post with some additional prompts to make sure you include everything as you submit :slight_smile:

Hey @jiutiao1001! :slight_smile:

If an Entrant is a winning Entrant, this is when we will confirm the eligibility as a Student Entrant.

I appreciate your patience in us getting back to your second question. Your video file should be encoded directly from Unreal only, using any methods in the documentation. We reserve the right to ask you to provide a screen recording of running the render from Movie Render Queue.

I hope this helps clear that up!

Regarding the use of MovieRenderQueue & Path Tracer

Your video file should be encoded directly from Unreal only, using any methods in the documentation. We reserve the right to ask you to provide a screen recording of running the render from Movie Render Queue.

Path Tracing is not permitted as this creates an unfair advantage against those that do not have systems that can use this feature.

It is fantastic to hear that you are excited about the Challenge. We cannot wait to see what you produce!

You are welcome to create/animate characters within your scene from assets you already have and ones you make. The same goes for sounds and music- but these cannot be added in post-production. The render has to be done within Unreal Engine only.