UniversalCRT include/library directories missing on project settings

If you are using the binary version of the Engine installed through the Launcher, then you would want to go to the Library portion of the Unreal Engine tab in the Launcher. Click on the small down-arrow for the card showing your current Engine installation and select the Verify option. This will replace any missing files, including the ones you removed by deleting the Intermediate folder.

107870-verify.png

After Verify my engine, i still have this error. But i found a temporary solution, i use the rebuild.bat, then with UnrealFrontend, i launch my project. Is there a way to use the rebuild.bat directly in UE4? (the full rebuild option is check)

I am not sure what you mean by using rebuild.bat in UE4. If you are using the binary version of the Engine installed by the Launcher, you won’t be able to rebuild the Engine. Does the project not build without running Rebuild.bat?

Nope, without the Rebuild.bat, he can’t build :/. I solved it in visual studio(with vc directories) but it doesn’t seems to change anything in UE

Since this is happening for the project specifically, could you try deleting the Intermediate folder in the project (not the Engine this time), then right-click on the .uproject file and select the Generate Visual Studio project files option. Once it is done, open the project’s .sln file in Visual Studio and build the project. Then see if it still fails in the Editor.

So, without full rebuild visual studio, its not working. And Launch in UE don’t work too. But with a full rebuild, it works

Hi Saphirant,

Are you still having trouble with this issue? If so, have you tried using 4.13.1 to see if that works better for you?

Trying to start a fresh C++ project on 4.13.2, using the binary on win 10, and running into this issue. I’ve added the universal crt includes, and I can rebuild the project to see updates, but doing a hot reload in editor returns an error.

LINK: fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file ucrt.lib

I have the same issue. Note that I also have Windows 8.1 Driver Kit installed for another program in addition to Windows 10 Driver.

I used to have to “corecrt.h not found” error until I went into visual studio 2015 and reinstalled Windows 10 SDK, and now have the same error about ucrt.lib. I fix my build manually by making sure Library Directories has $(LibraryPath). Thanks for any information on how to fix/modify the hot reload script to include the library. I do still get the corecrt.h issue when creating a new project.

Also, using .

EDIT: I’ve also even tried adding a LIB and INCLUDE environmental variable pointing to the windows SDK includes to no avail. Manually copying corecrt.h into “C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\include” let me get past some parts, but this is obviously not a good path to go down (since there are more files needed and it doesn’t look at child directories). Is there any way to get what folders are being used for the Includes when compiling with UnrealBuildTool.exe?

So I was frustrated enough that I just downloaded the unreal engine source to figure out what was going on. Turns out the build tool looks for the registry “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Kits\Installed Roots” for KitsRoot10, which points to the 64bit version. However, as far as I know there’s no 64 bit include/source for Windows 10 SDK. So it’s looking in the 64 bit for includes/libs/sources instead of the x86 folder. I manually changed KitsRoot10 to point to the x86 folder (so Program Files to Program Files (x86)) and things seem to be going smoothly, though this might indirectly break other things. Hopefully this helps other people with this issue and maybe in the future the build tool will also check both the 64 bit registry and then the 32 bit registry.

Hi ,

I just wanted to confirm that your KitsRoot10 registry key was pointing to C:\Program Files\Windows Kits\10 instead of C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10. If that is correct, that is…unexpected. My key correctly points to the x86 folder, and I don’t recall ever having to modify it to do so. Does uninstalling and reinstalling the kit not update the registry key to point to the correct location?

Yes, it was pointing to Program Files and not (x86). I don’t remember how Windows 10 SDK was installed on my computer, but it’s likely that there’s some installation path that caused it to point there. I really don’t want to reinstall the SDK because it’ll cause issues, but my Windows 10 Kit SDK was probably installed by itself. I checked my folder history, and the x64 Windows 10 Kit folder was created the same time as “X64 Debuggers and Tools” was installed (a component of Windows 10 SDK, version 10.1.10586.15). This is the best I can do to help, but it does seem like it’s possible for people to have the registry pointing to a valid (but not useful) x64 Windows 10 Kit folder and fail the build for some people as seen in this thread.

Thanks ! Just changed the registry keys on my machine and C++ project creation is working smoothly again.

Thank you for the additional information, and for doing the extra work on this. I had not actually considered that there may be a discrepancy in where the windows kit registry key may be pointing. I’ll try to do some additional investigating along those lines.

Same here, thanks you

I have a question for anyone who found that they had to modify this registry key in order to successfully build code projects. Do you recall how you originally installed the SDK? I made several attempts to install the SDK myself and the installer always defaulted to install in the Program Files (x86) folder, and it would not let me change it to install in any other location.

Perfect candidate for you, I actually just reformatted back down to Professional (64 bit) SP1 from Windows 10. I freshly installed Visual Studio 2013/2015 without installing the build tools for C++, only installed for C# development. I installed UE4 through the Epic Games Launcher version 4.14.0 and was getting the error first that I didn’t have cl.exe, so I installed the build tools for VS2015. I then got the exact same error as the original post, and discovered that the registry key was also set improperly to the 64 bit Program Files directory, after changing it to the 32 bit directory, it worked immediately. I also had installed VS2017 RC1 in between UE4 and the VS2015 C++ build tools. Hope this helps.

Hi collinstevens,

Thanks for the information. I will try to get to a clean computer to see if I can follow your steps. I may not be able to do that until sometime next week, though.

Just for clarity, when you installed the VS2015 build tools, you did that by running the VS2015 installer again, correct?

Yes I did.

I spent some time yesterday and today installing Visual Studio 2015 and the Engine on a clean computer (it isn’t the best computer in the world, so the installations took a bit longer than I would have liked). Unfortunately, when I finished up installing the C++ tools in VS2015, the KitsRoot10 registry key contained the correct expected location. I did not include an installation of Visual Studio 2017 RC in my process, so I am going to see if I can get that machine reset again and go through the process again and include that installation step.

One point of clarification: When you installed the C++ tools, did you install ALL of the optional C++ items, or only the build tools?