[UE5] Retargeted root motion animations have innacurate pelvis / hip placement

There are such strange things, but it works for me.

First of all, you should add a “pelvis” bone to your root chain (root + pelvis). After that, you can see incorrect vertical offset, don’t worry about it, we will fix it in the next step. The second thing is to add single pelvis chain with “Global Scaled” mode set (like the root chain).

After the above steps, we can fix the vertical offset using the offset of the root bone in the character’s pose(!).

7 Likes

https://youtu.be/OnP1cns8vbc
I found a way to solve the problem

1 Like

THANK YOU. The translation mode solved my issue.

1 Like

I also have this bug while trying to retarget UE4 mannequin animations i got from a marketplace asset unto the UE5 mannequin bc my project is setup around that one. the best “solution” i found was adding a pelvis retarget chain to both rigs set to globally scaled, but this breaks IK pelvis adjustments entirely for those animations… so after days of dealing with this i realized it’s probably just easier to redo my project around the UE4 mannequin or learn other retargeting software

I still have the same issue.
The retargeted animation is sliding to some extent when i see start frame and end frame of the animation.
I have the following configuration

• Root + Pelvis
  • Pelvis
  • spine 1-3
    Arms ,legs and fingers are standard
    Pelvis is the retargeted root bone.
    I have Root and Pelvis as globally scaled.
    Both source and destination skeleton have Root and Pelvis as Animation Scaled.
    Weird thing : If i change the Pelvis of the destination to Skeleton. The sliding goes away but the retargeted animation has a weird jerkiness due to the pelvis.

So no win.
I see this is a fairly old post. But if someone has a solution please do share.

link is dead.

do you still have the same issue? i updated my project to 5.1 and switched from an AMD gpu to a Nvidia one and it’s fixed for me. idk what fixed it, that’s all i changed but it works for me now.

I have the same problem and i can’t for the life of me solve it :C

Don’t rightly know if this is related, but should the pelvis bone be a Deform bone? If the pelvis as root carried weighted vertices, and was itself moved along by those vertices then the pelvis/root would shift. Or I might be totally wrong.

Hi, I came here for a solution to my problem. It might not be relevant to this problem discussed in thread. But I did the following and root bone now retargets properly.
By default this option is set to 0, I put it to 1 and it worked.

Try Root motion fixing plugin “RM Fix Tool” for UE5 https://youtu.be/JbWckEC9jlk?feature=shared it let’s you fix any animation root motion problem, change, offset and rotate the whole animation.
RM Fix Tool in Code Plugins - UE Marketplace (unrealengine.com)

1 Like

You fixed my problem. Needed set root Globaly scaled in translation mode.
Edit: I found, that better work not Globaly scaled, but Absolute…

2 Likes

This is what fixed my root motion problems when retargeting. In the IK Retargeter I selected Root and changed the Translation Mode to Globally Scaled.

3 Likes

I want to add that if there is anyone like me who just started to learn the engine and is struggling to find the “Translation Mode” and how to change it to “Globally Scaled.”
This thread contains a video that explains how to do it.
Retargeting Root Motion in ue5

THANKS!!!

1 Like