UE5 Big Landscape, World Partition, Landmass Plugin, Water Plugin

In some ways that makes sense, but I also reduced sand to 2K textures if referring to material. Also, should that issue be lessened when using world partition? Only loading a few squares does seem to help in most cases but the landmass editing for water is ridiculously slow even on smaller landscapes. I am referring to the editing of it. Usually it will load after drawing but the manipulation of the splines is where it just tanks!

Well, the whole idea started as having “one big world” → meaning a continent on top of one big ocean, and then the continent with multiple lakes and rivers (like real life) and the whole thing managed by world partition.

In the end my experiment proven it ain’t gonna work like that unfortunately.

By that time, I just simply settled to having small levels in my game.

8x8 landscape. 64km2 .
Using 4x4 scaled to 200 u are able to use all water features like lakes and rivers.
If you need the landscape density to be 8x8 scaled to 100 you can customize the landscape brush
angle and width to disable any landscape deformation. But it would require you to manually adjust landscape to lakes and rivers, waterbody’s will still be automatically clipped to its landscape bounds. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am speaking above about way larger landscape than that. :slight_smile: 255x255 quads 2x2 sections 8K overall resolution

Hi lord :slight_smile:
The landscape i showed is the same size as an 8k resolution landscape. Only it is using a 4x resolution by scaling it up to 200.
255x255 quads, 2x2 sections, 8x8 components, Scale 200,200.
Main reason is so i can use all water features without having to create hacky methods to make it usable. Now the render targets are within intended targets. It does mean that the overal poly resolution of the landscape is lower but since i am using virtual heightfield for the tesselation at close distance it doesnt really matter. Hope this cleared it up a little :wink:

The trouble is that I cannot scale the landscape. I have tired it previously and it leads to unwanted bugs.

In this picture you can see my Creek (0.25 scaled down River) - it became discontinous on 200 scale landscape - with 100 scale landscape it was fine. Also scaling the landscape introduces issues with the landscape material and you have to re-work all the tilings inside. I feel like I have explained this issue somewhere else, I just don’t remember where. :slight_smile:

Hi,
Hmm… looking at your landscape, i would suggest turning your section size/number of components around. 255x section size, with less components. And a question, did you manually scale your river from 1 to 0.25? Trying to be helpfull with suggestions. Have you tried right clicking the river point and on the bottom selected “visualise river width”? That way you can adjust river width at each point, also depth and river velocity but thats aside. In my case with my landscape i have just added a quick test lake and river just to check if it still works and it does ! :slight_smile:
Only thing with the rivers atm that is a bit finnicky is adjusting the “channel edge offset” and edge offset" so the water fits nicely in the channel and doesnt poke out.
edit: the long cubes in the distance for reference are 10x10x30 meters for scale.( about 8-10 story building)
Here is the example on my landscape to confirm:

Yeah, the new water plugin and to a lesser extent landmass blueprints are both unusably slow on large landscapes (5km+). Rivers basically freeze the editor.

1 Like

Did you find a way to solve this please? I get .5 FPS while trying to move the landmasss brush.

Hello, I did. I do not use Landmass nor UE4 water plugin anymore.

What do you use instead?

2 Likes

Oceanology. It’s not cheap, but it’s excellent.

1 Like