UE4 Voxel Plugin - Progress Updates Thread

Oh wow! I did not know that happened. That is a neat change. Thanks for the heads up. I am glad that they took that route and didn’t just let it bit rot.

I’m gonna try your demo, I’m really liking how this is looking!

Hey @mordentral - Got a question - did work on this stop or is it still ongoing?

Also looks like the PR for World Origin Shifting in Multiplayer might be making its way to 4.14

https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine/pull/2359

Its working in 4.13 but I have been 100% on VR work. Being forced to use dynamic lighting with it is a huge performance killer in VR so I haven’t been working on it alongside my VR projects.

I am not sure when I will get back to it, I could give you its current state but there is no documentation so it would not be easy to use.

Does the plugin work in 4.13 still? I am asking as I think I asked while 4.13 was still in preview.

If so I would be most grateful if you gave me the plugin in its current state. I really need it for my current project. :slight_smile:

Dear @mordentral,

I am currently looking for a marching-cubes-based-voxel-library to use in a project. I also want it C++ and as portable/platform independent as possible.
I ended up finding PolyVox and was really happy because it is what I was looking for. And extra, Unreal integration through Cubiquity 4 Unreal, making it even more practical for rapid prototyping!
I understand that you stopped developing marching cubes, but has it been removed or just freezed as it was? Even in the case of no MC I still find this very very useful for my purposes.
I love all this and I am currently exploring the version from Cubiquity-2015-06-14… it was the version that was easier for me to start doing some stuff.
I am definitely very interested in the current state of it! Can you release it?
(I am new to this forum and tried to find a way to PM you, but no luck, so I ended up writing here)

Many Thanks!

Hi! I’m new here and wonder how you did the VoxelActor conversion function. I searching VoxelActor in Unreal, but can’t find any, so I thing you have sone that Voxelactor by your self.
So I wonder how you did to get this result of the static mesh? :slight_smile:

The Voxel actor is from the plugin I was working on, the conversion was done by shelling around the faces of the original static mesh, picking the color from the UV of the closest point and the texture map, then flood filling the interior based on proximity or solid color.

You would have to make your own voxel handler or use something like Voxel Farms plugin if you wanted to represent like this.

I really like this. but “” This is not downloaded. Is there a way I can use this plugin?

What ever happened to this plugin? Looked so good.

Check out VoxelPlugin for UE4 https://voxelplugin.com/

It is actively developed, and there is a vibrant Discord community for it here: Voxel Plugin

Yeah voxelplugin would be your go too, I ended up being immersed in VR work during this and dropped it.
I would still consider voxel farm if you need more advanced mesh generation, but that is a higher end product that is significantly more difficult to work with.