UE4 Student Project - Slum Environment Pack

@hallatore - Everything I have learnt has been through watching youtube videos and experimenting. They’re mostly a cost of exposing variables that set options in the components or in the material applied.
@Defused - Unfortunately as it’s all being done as part of a student project our University owns our work so we can’t currently apply to get it put on the marketplace. But we are hoping to get it released in some format when it’s finished. I’ll post an update on here when we find out more about getting it released. :slight_smile:

Very nice work, interested in seeing how this progresses. =)

I’m mostly interested in how you make actors interactable. That you can drag stuff in the view. Do you have any tutorials you can link to? :slight_smile:

I made a forest generation. But I only render it in-game, and there is no interaction. [WIP] Procedural mesh generation - Game Development - Epic Developer Community Forums

Just to note none of these are editable at runtime, they’re all made in the construction script. The Unreal Engine YouTube channel is a great resource for tutorials, https://youtu.be/2iNcGQMJp9s this shows the basics of how to start working with construction script.
For the Graffiti tool most of the work is done in the shader and all I’m doing using the construction script to effectively access those exposed parameters. This is what the blueprint for the graffiti tool looks like:

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

wow those tools are absolutely awesome! I have a lot more to learn xD

Cheers for all the feed back everyone!

Sorry for not updating the thread. We handed in on the 22 May with the display level looking like this.

After that we worked with David Gurney (a Masters student at our Uni) to make some sounds for the level (still need to render out the flythrough with sounds) which are nice and positional, makes the VR build pretty cool. We are also really excited by different platforms, I’m a bit of a VR-nut and Elliott is quite keen on how awesome mobiles are getting at all this stuff. So we both took the final level and started optimising for our respective platforms.

The main thing I found trying to get the level at a constant 60fps in DK2 on some slightly outdated hardware was that ALL LIGHTING MUST BE BUILT after I had done that I was getting a pretty steady 55-70 but I needed it to be 60 at the absolute least so various different tricks later I managed to achieve a steady 60fps in time for our Degree show where I had an Oculus Rift set up for people to see. baring in mind I haven’t made any LODs for the assets and all the textures are 2k I’m pretty impressed with UE4 :slight_smile:

If anyone is interested in walking around the environment in VR I got some pretty good feedback from a lot of people who have tried VR so would really like to hear what more experienced people have to say. Give it a download and just press ALT+Enter when you have a DK2 plugged in and it should just get itself sorted.

Breakwater31-VR
Breakwater31-PC

Thanks to Mitchemmc for the VR Template. I’ve been using that as when we started the project things were less fluid for vanilla UE4 to DK2.

UE4 Project Tools Update

Thanks Kit for the update.
As some of you where previously interested here’s a playlist of all the videos I produced showing most the tools I made for this project.

>>> UE4 Tools Video Playlist <<<](- YouTube)

This is really, really inspiring work mate! I’m starting with UE4 next semester at school, and I’m really looking forward to it after seeing what awesome stuff you can make with it!