UE4 Scripting Language

Please Don’t. Two systems are more than enough. For low level stuff you’ll need C++ anyway, which is already lacking documentation and examples. Just try to improve the compile times (cache maybe?). Besides I think in a Game Engine you really want to have static typing, C++ has good syntax, performance and industry-wide adoptance. Improve Unreal Build Tool and decrease compile times.

There was a time when Unity had 4 or 5 scripting languages… I was an asset seller there and I would have to support at least C#, JavaScript, Boo and Objective-C and my life was hell.

Interoperability between those languages was hell.
Oh and then there was/is HLSL too! Oh god…

Epic know about that, this is why they removed UnrealScript thus I believe, unless it’s something really impeccable, scripting will never happen again.

TBH i would like something like that just because is easier to read code over blueprints, more like a QOL than a really needed feature, I also think C++ and BP are already fine, the only thing i really want is best compilation and best support to VSCode

https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/b…ins-epic-games

So it has happened :slight_smile:

I have mildly positive, but a bit mixed feelings about it. I love how well integrated the version that already exists is within the Engine, as well as almost instant compilation times. I just can’t stand the name (but that’s fixable) and the snake_case syntax at places looks really hideous (especially coroutine names starting with underscore, that should be criminal). But that’s fixable as well, and I have great confidence that Epic has relatively high coding standards, so it hopefully won’t stand that way :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Rawalanche
Just because Epic bought them doesn’t mean it’s going to be the scripting language Tim is looking for.

Yes, I suppose that’s a more positive way to look at it :slight_smile:

It says that development of skookum script has ended. To me that suggests they will not be using that, but instead hired the creators of it to make something new… UnrealScript 2.0 anyone?

“While active development of has ceased”

Wait, is dead?

Certainly looks like that. Agog labs is only two people, they can’t develop both skookum and the new language for epic at the same time…

Yeah, I’ve probably rushed to make (likely wrong) assumption that the reason Skookum has ended was because negotiation with Epic to integrate it within the engine has started. So I thought they just stopped publishing the new version to keep working on a native version under the hood. But that was indeed a long stretch :slight_smile:

Understandable… Specially if is for two people, I just hope the 4.21 plugin can be launch for the people who was waiting for it. I hope of, there is gonna really be a new language in between, nothing but the best in this new project

had a whole team - https://.com/about/team/

Interesting, guess the article that said two people was wrong!

Hello Conan,

On the reddit POST Tim Sweeney said this about an intermediate script language:

“We see the introduction of another programming layer as a decision that’s binding on everything we do for a decade or more so we are cautious about quick patchy decisions.”

Can we know if this new language will be available as soon as possible and then evolved or if it will be a long-term project that will define new directions for Unreal Engine before being available?

I hope they could implement it in 4.22!!! (With some paper2d and vs code improvements)

Let’s hope they do not ■■■■ it up.
Would like to see a construct that allows us to script in Blueprints and usual programming side by side (New Language and Blueprints is equivalent) and produces proper C++ code when nativized.

While all of this is pretty cool, i’d like to point out something:

There already exists a scripting solution for UE4 which is pretty great : Haxe
Unreal.hx : GitHub - proletariatgames/unreal.hx: Unreal.hx: Haxe Integration for Unreal (This was even given a dev-grant by Epic)

Why is it good?
-Haxe is staticly typed and has lots of great features
-Pleasant syntax to work with, fast compiler
-Open source
-Compiles to C++ so you get the full benefit of C++ speed.
-Can map almost all of the UE4 C++ api
-Works great with blueprints
-Has a virtual machine for rapid development and live reloading - but still will compile to static for releases
-Lots of libs that can be used from other Haxe projects

Now - what it needs to be even better is :
-Better examples, documentation and tutorials
-Even tighter integration with the build tools
-To be wrapped up nicely in a easy plugin (maybe in the marketplace)
-Official support :slight_smile:

If it is something like python or similar, it has to all be integrated in UE, I wouldn’t want to deal with an external environment and especially low on GUI linux-ports.

There already some python integration in process but only for editor automation

but who knows where it will lead in the future

Why not use Python or C# then? All the engine-apis are custom anyway: it just comes down to different containers, datatypes and new syntax to learn. Why reinvent the wheel with a new language.

This will be another one of these niche languages that can never compete with widely adopted languages like Python/C# that have grown for years on a much larger userbase.

The heavy stuff has to stay C++ anyway for performance reasons. Why not build a lightweight python wrapper that is easy enough to use for level-designers/artists and under the hood interacts with the c++ apis (so c++ documentation doesnt get completely abandoned). Much like Pytorch or Tensorflow