UE4 on mac in 2016?

I honestly couldn’t care what you think of my comments but i know darn well that it is the truth, apart from the imac with a dedicated gpu and the mac pro the rest of the mac line is utter rubbish when it comes to serious 3d game development with the ue4. It’s no fault of mine when hipster game developers buy their fancy macbooks and parade with their anti-windows rhetoric, then pitch a fit when they realize that it ue4 performs like crud and then start countless threads asking how suitable is a mac for ue4 developemnt when all they had to do was either search google or the ue4 forum for information.

I can proof that developing with the mid class MacBook Pro 2016 (i7 4x2.6 16gb ram Radeon pro 450) works quite fine.

Actually more fluent that with the Asus Rog with 8x3,4 32gb ram and gtx980m

Most of ue editor depends on disk speed i saw.

Other then showing your opinion(Mac Hate) you’re are not in any help in that conversation.

I’m interested in who’s running 4.15 on a mac mini. I’ve read about issues with the intel graphics cards.

Basically looking for the cheapest iOS development option that can run the editor and xcode. Recent iOS updates mean 4.14 is even more on the way out (as in now needs custom engine modifications to C++ to compile) and my old (2009) macbook is unable to open 4.15.

Most of my work is done on PC, the MAC is just a packager and debugger and occasional material or blueprint tweaker.

What brand is it? It sounds like a poor design. If you bought it from a high-quality brand, then talk to them about false advertising and see if they will buy it back under warranty coverage. If it’s a cheap brand (which includes **** like HP consumer computers) then you’re probably screwed and need to sell it on eBay and buy something else.

Personally, I’ve had luck with Dell, MSI, and Razer Blade laptops for development over the years. The Dells require the heavier, more expensive models. The MSI are good value for money, but depending on model is hit-or-miss. The Razer Blades have all worked fine, and I now recommend those for engineers at work who previously would use MacBooks, because Apple has stopped making hardware for computing/media professionals.

One solution is to use the editor and build on windows, and just use mac to package. This way you dont need a decent graphics chip.

I have not tried it myself:

Yeah I’ve read about that but I’m a solo developer and life is already complicated enough so generally I try to limit the things I have to learn because for everything I put in my brain two things fall out. Sometimes also I find myself wanting to tweak and run from the editor too.

Nice moniker…

I’ve been able to get a pretty good experience using an old mac pro tower (before the round design mac pro) and replacing the graphics card. nvidia have a webdriver available that enabled me to use a GTX970, and a few weeks ago they released a driver that supports 10 series cards so I have upgraded to a 1070.

Metal has really helped get closer to feature parity on the graphics API front, which for years was held back by macOS using a version of openGL that did not have parity with DX11-level stuff on Windows. It is a shame that Apple dropped the ball with pro-end desktop hardware but at least they admitted their mistake and tried to reassure users that a mac pro that will be properly upgradeable is on their product roadmap.

I’ve just installed the editor on my mid 2012 mac pro tower as well. Replaced the graphics card with a GTX 980 (+ 970 and 760 externally). Beefed up the specs a bit because of Octane render. CPU maybe a bit outdated: 2 x 2,4 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon / 32gb DDR3 RAM
Unreal runs pretty slow, it takes a long time (2-3 minutes) compiling shaders on the most basic of scenes. Starting up also takes about 20-30sec.

Are there any settings that need optimisation on OSX? Or is CPU the bottleneck ?
Unreal Engine beginner here, so maybe someone could point me in the right direction with making it a bit faster.

Well I also put some SSD’s inside to replace the mechanical drives but apart from that I’m not sure much can be done. Startup and Shader compilation stuff is quite intensive even on my faster windows computer and unfortunately the old Xeon CPU’s, bus & memory speed do show their age a bit for this sort of thing.

Also running from SSD.

I don’t have any other reference so in that case it’s just normal behaviour I guess. Good enough to start learning. Hopefully Apple’s new MacPro is pro again :wink:

Got it running on my 2015 macbook pro with eGPU just fine!

https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?141072-UE4-Macbook-Pro-15-quot-Retina-Mid-2015-eGPU-MacOS

lol 2-3 minutes to compile shaders. Takes about 30 minutes on mine - to build the 7000 shaders I have no idea why I need per platform. SSD’s helped my old MAC so I’m hoping my new one gets a boost when I make that change.

I use both desktop PC and Dell notebook with Windows for years. If you want to keep your Windows OS safe just buy a antivirus program, which I use Norton, formally Kaspersky both of them are good. And I never format or repair my Windows PCs since. Even I bought a cheap Lenovo notebook for my parents and they use it for 5-6 years now and I didn’t format their PCs since. Only for new Windows installs thats all. Also don’t use cracked software. It can harm and slower your PC. The money you will spend for an iMac with GPU you can create an incredible Windows PC setup. I use Mac-mini(i5 Dual Core, 256GB SSD, 16GB Ram) for app development for iOS but Unreal didn’t work on it. So, you need a Mac with GPU and at least quad-core i7 CPU. But people who want to develop games with Unreal I suggest a Windows PC.