UE4 - intel 7700K or AMD 1800X?

If I had to build a new work station, I’d go for the AMD; probably the R7 1700. They’re fast enough for older games, and more than strong enough for the newer games which make proper use of multithreading. And when it comes to content creation they seem to be really good.

Thanks for comments :smiley: so many here.
So at last i decided for AMD1700, it seems like a smart choice.

Just remember that you probably won’t get the higher OC’s with the stock cooler, and have a look at the different motherboards (X370 vs B350).
Info is still pretty scarce.

Think it over for a few days =]

Just to chime in.

You should be able to OC to 3.9Ghz with the Stock cooler with the 1700 without any problem; Its the first time that i actually see a good stock cooler delivered :slight_smile:

And you can use a cheaper B350 mainboard too, since both chipsets support overclocking.

Generally you will be very happy with the Ryzen, but you should know that it may take 1 or 2 months until the stability is ironed out through BIOS updates and updates in the windows scheduler (which is currently killing 8-core performance a bit with SMT on).

Cheers,

So far noone has achieved a 20% overclock on any ryzen processor. How are you supposed todo it in 15 minutes?

Unless you are referring to 20% over base clock, but that’s not really interesting, the 1700 boosts to that on its own.

I should of said any modern Intel processor, I haven’t looked too much in overclocking Ryzen yet, mostly because there’s still frequent updates for the motherboards/processors, I though I heard the OC claims where higher than what people are actually getting.

Well, as of now the ryzen overclocks like a dog. People are getting 3-6% improvement over the turbo, then it stops working.

I’ve been reading a lot of benchmarks and it’s too soon to speak about it but the general consensus is that Ryzen is better than a 6900K in every way and around 10-15% slower than a 7700K for gaming, which can be just because the i7 has higher clocks and an arguable slightly higher IPC.

The problem is that a lot of reviews contradict each other even using the same rigs and games, in some Ryzen wins and in some others Intel wins, which is very weird and I assume is because the platform is too young and until new stable and mature BIOS, drivers and firmwares appear results may vary.

The thing here is that you trade 10-20 fps from an already high amount available for huge performance as a workstation at an affordable price.

Actually you’re partially wrong there.
Your basis on the 1800X not being a good gaming PC is due to the rumours of it having lower framerate yes.
Although what you did not consider was the framerate drops. The 1800X has much less/lower framerate drops than the competitor Intel’s CPUs. Which means, it may just as well be much better at gaming.

To TS. In my opinion, go for Ryzen ;D

Regardless of what the benchmark figures say, Ryzen is a really good processor for gaming. It’s only when you intentionally create a CPU bottleneck by running at lower resolutions with a high-end graphics card that you can measure any significant difference in max framerate between a 7700K and an 1800X anyway. But even then that’s a pretty moot point. Taken by themselves, the Ryzen 7 processors make for excellent gaming CPU’s. A huge step up from AMD’s previous line of processors.

So, short summary: If you want THE BEST then Intel wins. If you want THE BEST VALUE FOR MONEY then AMD now has a strong contender again. (They used to be leaders there, but fell behind in the last few years.)
If you have an old computer with two cores, or four slow cores, and too little RAM, then any upgrade is going to feel great! Also, make sure you get a SSD for all your system and work files. Spinny disk for your video and music collection might be fine, but anything that’s in the boot/edit/compile/test cycle must be on SSD, or you’re wasting your life. That’s a more important performance improvement than getting the fastest CPU IMO.

Either way, we both agree to recommend the 1800X ;D

So, where are the numbers for Ryzen vs Intel whatever for GameDev? Not for gaming?

CPU benchmarks put them slightly trailing Intel, but a much better value in terms of bang for your buck. If you are building a new PC on a budget and need more cores, AMD Ryzen is probably the way to go.

Hey guys check out his video, this guy makes an outstanding analysis of the Ryzen situation:

https://.com/watch?v=ylvdSnEbL50

Since i own a 1700X now, here are my 2cents:

Specs first:
32GB Ram
Ryzen 1700X
GPU: Radeon 280X (old, i know, but its still working fine)
HD: Samsung 960 EVO

My compile times are reduced drastically, full editor rebuild took 1.5hrs before (quite old rig with only a phenom IIx4), now it’s down to 20-30 mins.
The number of threads Ryzen provides makes quite a difference while compiling and also in content creation (shadercompiler, blender etc).

I’m quite satisfied with my new hardware :slight_smile:

Oh, there’s one thing I forgot to ask about, in 4.11 Epic added Intel Embree support to speed up lightmass about about 2x. So in theory Intel processors still might be a lot faster for light map baking. Has anyone tried doing some comparable lightmass benchmarks?

I still have my Phenom II here kicking *** :smiley: Let’s see when I can have some spare money to upgrade, I’m undecided between the 1700 and the 1700X.

It’s true the 1800X isn’t the industry favourite for gaming but, given it works really well with video editing, video streaming, programming and rendering, that’s a minor inconvenience…

Reviews can be really harsh in the community, because everybody assumes gaming is the only thing people will use their PC for - if you makes games as well as play them, however, the 1800X is a better choice.

Still 20-30 min? Are you sure?

My 6700k takes about that long, and the ryzen should be much faster… is it even using it fully?