UE 5.2.1 Pixel Streaming performance problem

Just wanted to update this thread that we’ve pushed the UE5.3.2 patch into our testing env and are still seeing the performance issues. Sticking with UE5.1 for now. Will update the UDN ticket.

1 Like

Really sad to hear that :frowning:

Just had a test on 5.3.2 and here is the captured video

1 Like

memory leaks in pixel streaming(5.21) - Programming & Scripting / Multiplayer & Networking - Epic Developer Community Forums (unrealengine.com)
Just wanted to make sure these forums were linked together as they are focused on the same issue.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the hint. I applied codes below from those PRs and the problem is fixed. It seems that memory leak leads to the drop of fps.

1 Like

Seeing the same and begging UDN at this point to get the following PR into UE5.3’s next hotfix or UE5.4
https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine/pull/11068#issuecomment-1816362961

1 Like

I just tried to switch to UE5.3, implementing PRs above for the memory leak issue. However, I encountered a new bug. Upon connecting to pixel streaming or changing streaming levels, there’s a bothersome 15-second input lag of seconds. This seems linked to high CPU usage, disrupting pixel streaming.

Tests reveal that UE5.2 experiences the same issue, while utilizing the pixel streaming plugin from UE5.1 poses no problems.

Anything new on this topic? Same issue with 5.3.2.

I also have this issue with 5.3.2

Hey, we had a simillar issue with low performance in 5.3 on streams and I found that deactivating the UDP Messaging plugin helped. Not sure why and how but maybe that helps someone…

Hi There,

Do you still have the performance Issue on our Platform?
We have solved every performance Issue with our Custom WebRTC solution.

Looking forward to your feedback.

here is my mail m.emmanouilidis@arcware.com, we could arrange a call if you need further support on this topic

Looks like 5.4.2 finally resolved the leak … however, compared to UE4.27.2 it still feels rather jittery from a performance standpoint even though UE5 says its running at 100hz compared to UE4.27 60htz locked.

1 Like

We also tested 5.4.3 for a couple of days. It seems stable so far, but much slower (300ms) in response to user input compared to 5.1 which feels less than 100ms.

1 Like

Check out our guide for a step by step instructions on how to improve pixel streaming performance: Improve Pixel Streaming Performance | Unreal Engine 5 | Best Practises | by Infinity Void | Jul, 2024 | Medium

Thanks for the guide as its greatly appreciated but I think in the context of the statements above the performance issues are due to either memory leaks (one which I’ve actually caught a PR and code reviewed that is a regression that tried to sneak its way back into main after 5.4.3 hotfix) or to simply state that without any changes performance of pixel streaming even after resolving the memory leaks has taken a huge hit since the webrtc changes between 5.1 and 5.4. I have a 4.27.2 build, 5.1 and 5.4 build of our application without any real changes to the application between 4.27 and 5.1 other than moving away from baked lights to dynamic and maintaining 60+ fps on our benchmark machines. The UE5.4 build shows even faster frame times however pixel streaming performance is horrid.

Fixed a memory leak in FVideoResourceCUDA again. [to release branch] by zuvola · Pull Request #12166 · EpicGames/UnrealEngine (github.com)

1 Like