UE 4.14 editor is crashing at launch (macOS )

The unreal editor is crashing at launch. I have tried to launch an older version of UE editor and it still crashed at launch. I have deleted every UE iteration I have on my computer, reinstalled 4.14, and it crashed at launch. I have included the crash log below.

MachineId:FD3B533D524C3F8AE20D0684039A77B4
EpicAccountId:562f7009f643470a9dcf83f324fd54aa

SEGV_MAPERR at 0x3

FGenericPlatformMisc::RaiseException(unsigned int) Address = 0x10b454dbb (filename not found) [in UE4Editor-Core.dylib]
FOutputDeviceMacError::Serialize(wchar_t const*, ELogVerbosity::Type, FName const&) Address = 0x10b60d378 (filename not found) [in UE4Editor-Core.dylib]
FOutputDevice::Logf(wchar_t const*, …) Address = 0x10b6ead17 (filename not found) [in UE4Editor-Core.dylib]
FDebug::AssertFailed(char const*, char const*, int, wchar_t const*, …) Address = 0x10b669b7e (filename not found) [in UE4Editor-Core.dylib]
FMetalDeviceContext::CreateDeviceContext() Address = 0x142a563b9 (filename not found) [in UE4Editor-MetalRHI.dylib]
FMetalDynamicRHI::FMetalDynamicRHI(ERHIFeatureLevel::Type) Address = 0x142a7b23b (filename not found) [in UE4Editor-MetalRHI.dylib]
FMetalDynamicRHIModule::CreateRHI(ERHIFeatureLevel::Type) Address = 0x142a7b0f4 (filename not found) [in UE4Editor-MetalRHI.dylib]
PlatformCreateDynamicRHI() Address = 0x11162e06b (filename not found) [in UE4Editor-RHI.dylib]
RHIInit(bool) Address = 0x11162f535 (filename not found) [in UE4Editor-RHI.dylib]
FEngineLoop::PreInit(wchar_t const*) Address = 0x10b35cb3f (filename not found) [in UE4Editor]
GuardedMain(wchar_t const*) Address = 0x10b36f8a1 (filename not found) [in UE4Editor]
-[UE4AppDelegate runGameThread:] Address = 0x10b37d16c (filename not found) [in UE4Editor]
-[FCocoaGameThread main] Address = 0x10b59c526 (filename not found) [in UE4Editor-Core.dylib]
Unknown() Address = 0x7fffaef5230d (filename not found) [in Foundation]
_pthread_body Address = 0x7fffc280dabb (filename not found) [in libsystem_pthread.dylib]
_pthread_body Address = 0x7fffc280da07 (filename not found) [in libsystem_pthread.dylib]
thread_start Address = 0x7fffc280d231 (filename not found) [in libsystem_pthread.dylib]

Hi Dr. Sankara,

Please provide as many of the following as possible:

1. Your Mac’s specs. You can find this in the Apple menu >About This Mac>More Info> Add the information from this window (serial # not necessary).
  2. The “System Report:” Apple menu >About This Mac > System Report>Hardware (All information listed in the “Hardware Overview.”) You can cut and paste this information or provide screen shots, whichever is more convenient.
  3. The UE4.log (Located: ~/Library/Logs/Unreal Engine/Editor/) -if one has been generated in this case.

Also, have you ever been able to use any version of the Editor on the Mac? Please provide this information and we will continue to investigate.

Thanks for your cooperation,

Greetings ,

Thank you very much for your response. I have provided the information you requested below and I have attached the UE4.log. In the past I have been able to open every UE iteration that I downloaded. However, it seems that before I updated to 4.14 something changed and I’m not sure what that could have been. Not only was I unable to open the 4.14 Unreal Editor once I downloaded it, but I was unable to go back and open any previous versions of UE that I had available in the Epic Launcher. I hope this information helps. Thank you again for your assistance.

1.Mac Pro (mid 2010)
Processor - 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Memory - 17 gb 1066 MHz DDR3
Graphics - NIVIDIA Quadro 4000 2048 MB

2.Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro5,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 17 GB
Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s
Boot ROM Version: MP51.007F.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.39f11
SMC Version (processor tray): 1.39f11

Hi Dr. Sankara,

Thank you for posting your system specs. As per the Release Notes for Unreal Engine 4.14:

New: OpenGL support is now deprecated and Metal SM4 was replaced by SM5 in 4.13… We no longer compile OpenGL and Metal SM4 shaders by default to save cook time and decrease cooked data size. *Running under OpenGL will now display a dialog warning that Mac OpenGL is no longer supported and may not run correctly.

*If you are running an OS earlier than , you should have seen a warning stating this upon trying to open the editor. Nevertheless, you should still be able to run earlier versions of the Engine provided your system specs, including OS and XCode version, meet the following minimum specs listed here: Hardware & Software Specifications

If your System is running at least OSX Mac OS X 10.10.5 and you have Xcode Version 7.2.1 at the earliest installed and you are still unable to launch UE4.13 or earlier, please let me know and we will continue to investigate. Be sure to specify if you are downloading the Source version of the editor or the binary version via the Launcher.

List of Mac computers that support Metal

Thanks,