Twisted bones when playing animation. Blender to UE4

I would stay away from using 2.73a. Ive heard from a few friends and I believe it was mentioned in a recent unreal twitch stream that it does NOT work as well as the previous release of blender (2.73). From what Ive experienced it seems to just add on extra scale issues to the transform issues I’m having from the previous release.

The twisty bones problem is a known issue with the fbx exporter. There is an open bug report on it.

Hi Whammy, thanks for pointing out that there is a bug report.

Some questions about your technique of adding a small amount of movement to the twisted bone:

• Do I need to search for the error keyframe by keyframe?
  • If more that one keyframe has an error, or modifying and error free keyframe produces an error keyframe, this could be an endless test… Did you had difficulties correcting an issue?

Thanks.

I can’t take credit for this fix. It was posted as a comment to the bug report on the blender. But it often works for bones that have no movement.

Bones that don’t have at least some movement in all 3 rotation axis will sometimes exhibit the twisty bug (even if there a keys assigned). The trick is to make sure there’s a tiny bit of movement (rotation) on each axis. It doesn’t take much – a fraction of a degree is fine. You also need to remove any axis restraints.

Well, bug or not of the exporter, the thing is that Unity imports this animation fbx correctly. So I guess the information is correctly present in the fbx or Unity applies corrections to the data.

FBX SDK only documents the data types of FBX but not how to interprete this information. So maybe, different things are being considered on both ends.