Turn based strategy on a cube! How to properly rotate actor?

Eureka! https://i.gyazo.com/b5b84c866475d8285610be6e15d3ac23.gif

as you can see in the GIF i got it to work! I started messing around with each of the “Make Rot from” nodes just to experiment with what happens.

The Make Rot from Z like was used in @Orkney’s link (SetRotation posted by anonymous | blueprintUE | PasteBin For Unreal Engine 4) provided really good results. With it i was able to get my unit’s feet to always be on the space no matter which side of the cube it was on. At that point i knew i needed to make a Rot from Z so i started to experiment with “Make Rot from ZX” and “Make Rot from ZY”.
When experimenting with ZX I decided to get the Unit Direction Vector from the location of the character on the old space to the location of the new space. I plugged the normal of the line trace into Z and the unit direction vector into X and got my Rotation. It works perfectly!

Here is the Blueprint for anyone else that may run into something similar later on.

Thank you @Orkney and @SkeetonYu for helping me with this!

Needs more moustache.

oh geez… you remember :open_mouth:

the game has come quite a long ways since you helped me a while back man!

The idea of a cubical playfield like this really speaks to me. I’ve been playing Into the Breach recently and it’s truly astonishing how much gameplay they managed to squeeze out of a simple 8x8 field.

I’d like to see where you’re going with this project.

Exactly the same way I feel. Game looks very intriguing.

@Everynone @SkeetonYu Currently the goal is that once I get to the point in development where the base gameplay has a solid foundation I am going to start a devblog, social media, and get a little more involved with posting my progress. I just want to get to a point where I feel like the game is presentable before I try to generate a following. Hopefully that will come here in a month or so!
I was making quite a bit of progress until I started working on multiplayer. It took me forever to get steam integration and online multiplayer working :mad:. I’ve hit my stride though and am making a lot of progress again. Ill let you guys know when I start posting progress so you guys can get a better look at what i’m making!

Also, the fact that you guys are showing support with the smallest glimpse of my game is extremely encouraging. Thank you guys so much! :)​​​​​​​