Training Stream - Creating a Match 3 Game, Part 1 - July 7th, 2015

WHAT
Lauren Ridge and Richard Hinckley show you how to build a Match 3 game using C++ in combination with Blueprints. In this first part of the series, you’ll get an overview of the game - including how to design your project utilizing both C++ and Blueprints - as well as starting to implement some of the base classes.

WHEN
Tuesday, July 7th @ 2:00PM-3:00PM ET - Countdown]

WHERE
www.twitch.tv/unrealengine

WHO
Lauren Ridge - Training Content Creator (@LRRidge](https://twitter.com/LRRidge))
Richard Hinckley - Senior Documentation Engineer

Feel free to ask any questions on the topic in the thread below, and remember, while we try to give attention to all inquiries, it’s not always possible to answer everyone’s questions as they come up. This is especially true for off-topic requests, as it’s rather likely that we don’t have the appropriate person around to answer. Thanks for understanding!

Edit: The YouTube archive is now available here](Creating a Match 3 Game | 01 | Live Training | Unreal Engine - YouTube)

Yay, can’t wait to see another stream, I’ve missed so many while I was internetless… See you all there!

I will definitely be tuning in for this one, for obvious reasons :smiley: I will also make sure to let my customers know about this, as it may help them out.

Will this include level progression/selection by any chance? I had a customer ask me about this recently. Actually, what will be created specifically, only the match-3 logic or also other related aspects such as UI, score tracking, special game pieces, etc?

Sure, I’m waiting, it’s important, we hope more Unreal Engine C++ tutorials in the future

Hope more UE4 C++ tutorials, too.

Can we have a UE4 C++ 101 series.
A video version of Rama’s “basics of C++ wiki” where the author breaks down a simple UE4 C++ game and explains things like Macros,classes, templates,pointers etc ?

Nothing too dense.

or Learning C++ by Creating Games with UE4 :William Sherif

Thank you.
b

We do have this series: 3rd Person Power-Up Game with C++

It is our introduction to C++ in UE4 series. Unfortunately, some of the info in it is outdated due to changes in the engine since it was recorded. It is currently being redone by Lauren though!

Any ETA on the remake?

Thanks for the heads up . I think I have seen that series ( but I’ll have a look again ).

I’ve been thinking about this a bit and keep coming to a dead end conclusion that teaching C++ via UE4 is not very tractable,sadly !

There’s too much ‘engine’ in the way.

William did a commendable job in his book but it felt rushed.
Perhaps we can rag on Zack to attempt this :P. He’s an Ex-buzz veteran and could bring some of that ‘from the ground up’ treatment to this project.

If done well, this could be a great way to teach C++ Academically.

Thanks again.

Has the project for this stream been released yet? I’d love to play around with it. Thanks for everything you guys are doing!

Can you please make a Youtube link for this twitch?

Hey Skypillows, no youtube link yet but you can watch it on Twitch here: http://www.twitch.tv/unrealengine/v/7038170