Training Stream - Creating a 2D Side-Scroller - April 28th, 2015

That was an AMAZING tutorial! But now I’m kinda struggling with setting Ai to create an enemy…

Can’t wait for the next paper2d stream!

Thanks very much for the tutorial Alan; spent my entire afternoon running through it and it was fascinating and very helpful in learning the ropes. I’m keenly looking forward to a second part :slight_smile:

I would like to add wall jumping and simple teleporters(i can get one to work easy but multiple, my hair is gone!).

2D Character Engine
If you guys are keen on 2D sidescroller/platformer/metroidvania games/mechanics, I’m creating a project for the Market currently Called 2D Character Engine. So make sure to check it out. I sometimes create promotions where I give away certain mechanics. For example recently I gave away the jump mechanic that had wall jump, double jump, space jump and a few other things.

Is this tutorial going to be continued?

Yes, tomorrow:

I case anyone else has the same problem: Been following this on 4.8.1 on OSX, but the editor crashes when I’m trying to select my dude (World Settings => Selected GameMode => Default Pawn Class).

I was able to get around this by deleting the default char blueprint, and selecting my new one as replacement.

Thanks for this awesome tutorial :slight_smile: I’m working through the videos now, can’t wait to see the end result :slight_smile:

Excellent lesson. But I do not know much English. So I do not understand why at the beginning of the game can not see the character. Requires press run, what would the character appeared.
And the second question. When the event occurs, “Dead,” my character hangs above the floor. I do not understand how to change the capsule element, depending on the size of the animation.
Thank you very much.

http://smages.com/images/blankici.jpg

http://smages.com/images/deadlhl.jpg

P.S. The problem is solved. Thanks!

I know we have part 2 already, but I don’t want to get there before solving na issue that I have.

When I first start the game, before inputing any movement, the character Sprite doesn’t load. It loads only when I start moving around, and then it keeps good, only on the first game load, the Sprite doesnt load. Could anyone help me with that?

By the way, awesome tutorial, really good.
Thank you very much.

I’ve got the same problem actually. Have not looked into it, since it was a minor detail. I just checked, and I can jump and shoot while “invisible”. It also runs UpdateAnimation correctly, and it has the idle state. Will take a closer look tomorrow.

I had this problem, realised it was because the sprite is initally facing the wrong way. Solved it by rotating the player start by 90°

How did you solve the dead animation hanging above the ground please?
because mine looks like that:

I haven’t done anything with the dead animation but by the looks of it I would guess that your anchor point on the death sprite is different.

Yeah, I am guessing that you need to adjust the framing of the source sprite, or the size of your 2D character’s capsule/positioning of the sprite component of the 2D character

Thank you Superwig!
I was trying to solve this for a very long time, and it was a simple rotation. Thanks a lot :smiley:

Awesome tutorial. Followed it, was really fun to make something I used to play as a kid.
My question is, is it possible to make something in lines of Double Dragon / Battletoads with 2d Template? What would I have to do to add up and down dimension?
Everything would still be in 2d, and game would still be a scroller.

Hey =) this series is great and I had a lot of fun following along. Thanks for providing the sources, and can’t wait for the third tutorial.

As of this moment I completed the first tutorial, I noticed this video was done with Unreal Engine 4.7 and I am using 4.10 so a few things were changed. I easily kept up, saw the small changes.

i just started this tutorial. i have been DIGGING to find a great way to get started in Unreal (and game design in general) and this was PERFECT! i have on issue, the last thing he does, char state to dead when the value of health is <=0, isnt working. the healthbar goes down, but when it reaches 0, nothing happens. any thoughts? once i figure this out, im going to continue on with pt2.

care to share what changes you had to make? im working with the same differences you are, and im really new. and i cannot get the death sequence to work from the end of pt1