Train, Rail and Roller Coaster System

Nice DasMatze, we’ll add this as an option for the next update.
@admin - Can we get the title of the page changed to [RELEASED] ?

Been having a quick play aroundwith this… most impressive.

Hacked together a workflow to put detailed points (crossings) in place

I made a child class from the track and set its in game visibility to off
Placed my point static mesh in game and used the invis track to lay out the two paths

(also made a second child track class using my matching 3d track model)

Made the connections as per docs and we have a crossing with proper frogs guide rails etc
need now to set it up so as my point levers will switch track and animate the point blades

f800a5d63f43e735cb452cb193fa3cc2b512cdff.jpeg

Many thanks for a great product

Paul G

Author The Railway UE4

Hi Paul, we are well aware of you and your railway project, you kept coming up in every UE4 and railway search. We are glad you’re using the system and that it’s providing you value.
Please let us know if you have any feedback or requests.

Thanks,

Hi ,

I have quitea bit of feedback (and indeed requests) I will drop your support a line and take it fom there

Thanks again

Paul G

Hello!

I’m a bit confused about banking the track spline. Can’t I just select one point of the spline and bank or lean it?

I look at the track example map but I’m not sure how did it? It says I should be able to do it for each points…?

Thank you

Thanks Paul, we’ve received your mail and will respond shortly.

Hi are you talking about ‘Force Up Dir’ example, number 1.11?
If so, check out the option “Set Up Dir for All Spline Points” in the track settings. Then check out the “Up Direction”, we have it set to -1 on the Z axis to invert it.
This is a simple example, but if you’re looking for a more advanced example of rotating the individual spline points and handles, check out the roller coaster example map and click on the loop the loop.

If you still have questions or that doesn’t get you what you need, please reply and we’ll get you there.

Cheers,

Thanks, I can invert with the Z axis without problem.

But still it looks like I can’t bank the track properly.

The mesh “detaches” as seen on this screenshot from the editor:

What I’m trying to do is to have a curve similar to this:
35bd6152b3b543b86e98fa6b44376b46cdbf27ad.jpeg

Or trying to build a ‘corkscrew’:
0W6Fq3h.jpg

Is there an easy way to do that?

Thanks, I can invert with the Z axis without problem.

But still it looks like I can’t bank the track properly.

The mesh “detaches” as seen on this screenshot from the editor:
<screen shot removed to keep post size down>

What I’m trying to do is to have a curve similar to this:

Or trying to build a ‘corkscrew’:

Is there an easy way to do that?
[/QUOTE]

Hi

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you, we wanted to make sure that when we did reply, that you had all the info you need.

We are submitting an update today that exposes roll options for the track to create the effects you’re looking for, like in the screen shot below. We’ve been working with WDSX to test out this feature, since it’s one he also wanted.
It’s going to take a day or two for the update to get pushed out to the marketplace, so if anyone needs the files now, ping the support e-mail and we’ll send them to you.

A bit about roll: We originally had this feature in during development, but removed it because it’s not possible to set the roll for a spline point via blueprint. But you can set the roll for a the mesh. So if you’re using this to build a corkscrew you’ll need to rotate the spline point in the editor with the normal rotation tool.

We’ve added two type of roll for the track:

1. Start and End roll: Use this if you’re joining sections of track and need the start or end to match up
  2. Start, Middle and End roll: Use this if you’re creating a single piece of track with roll in the middle

These of course can be disabled.

If anyone has any questions, please shout. We’ll update this thread once the update goes live to the marketplace, but we expect that to be in a few days.

Hi all,

We are currently working on an update for the system primarily aimed at people making roller coasters, but it’s applicable for all projects.

The updates:
These include new options for setting the roll at the start, middle and end of a section of track, allowing you to create far more complex track layouts.
We’ll also be providing sample tracks for each of these so you can quickly drop them into your project.
We’ve added tools to the track to visualize the roll at each location and to visualize the up direction for the whole track, or at each spline point (as seen in the screen below).

What we need from you:
If you have any feedback, if you’re working on a roller coaster and need a feature, please tell us so we can get it in with the next update.

http://polygonjelly.com/products/unreal/trainandrail/screenshots/forum/thumbs/coaster_tools.png

Thanks,

Hello

First I wanted to start off by saying amazing work! Keep it up.

I just had 1 question.
Would it be possible to hop between tracks mid traveling?

In case I wasnt clear. I mean as in say there are 3 tracks and I am travelling down one at a certain speed, is it possible to hop from one of these 3 to another?

Thanks

Hi Cyrzo,

Thanks, appreciate it.

Yep, you have 3 options to get the result you want:

1. Fake the top with a jump trigger, check out the trigger example map for an example of this, we have a track with a broken section, over which we place a jump trigger. You’re probably going to want to check out jump triggers if you want any kind of a jump or hop effect in place.

2. If you just want a small gap on the same level that the train will carry over, you can add a track with no mesh in between the two ‘real’ tracks, this will create a gap between them the train can travel over

3. You can set the connection distance between two tracks to be pretty big, the train will then hop or skip between them (be warned, the train travels along the spline, so the bigger the gap, the bigger the hop, think of this as more of a jump forward in time style hop than a jump)

I’d go with the trigger option for any effect I was creating since it gives you more control and you can reuse it.
If that doesn’t answer your question, or you can’t get the desired effect, please reply here so we can help and so other users can get this info.

Cheers,

Hi,

first of all, its a great value for me to have this plugin. Just at the right time!

Is there an easy way to miniaturize the track and the trains to much smaller scale?

Cheers,
Jan

Hi Jan,

Glad you’re liking it.

Regular scale tool in the editor will work for trains. For the tracks you’ll need to scale your mesh.
If you’re looking for temporary scale you can use a jump trigger.

Hope that, shout if you’ve any more questions.

Cheers,

Hi all,

The system has been updated on the marketplace, the biggest update is for anyone building advanced turns or roller coaster system.
Tracks can now have a start, middle and end roll and there is a whole new example map dedicated to rolls.

http:// http://

Full list of changes:

• Added a option to allow the starting distance on the track to be set manually.
  • Added roll options for tracks
  1. *]Added start, middle and end roll for each track piece

2. *]Added debug options to visualize the up dir and roll options for each spline point

3. *]Added roll examples map

If anyone has any questions, trouble feedback, please let us know.

Thanks,

We’ve added a demo based on several requests. Hit the escape key to bring up the main menu and select the map you’d like the view.
Download Demo (Including all example maps)](Dropbox - TrainAndRailDemo.zip - Simplify your life)

Recently purchased this and having fun with it. Works well in VR and has saved us a load of work as we were planning to create a train system at some point.
Looking forward to seeing how it develops.
Thanks for being so responsive to the queries I sent regarding scaling.
:slight_smile:

I bought this pack today, and it is saving me alot of heartache building my own track system! It is very well done!

For the project I am working on, I need to allow the player to control the speed of the minecart, however I am having alot of trouble doing this.

I basically have a setup where if you press space the engine acceleration is set to 1000, and if you release it is set to 0. That seems like it should work fine based on the parameters i’ve entered into the actor itself, however nothing happens when I do the same thing dynamically through blueprint. I’ve tried setting it up through enabling input in the minecart blueprint and with a player controller but I have had no luck. Is player input possible with this system? If so, is there any easy way to add it?

/EDIT
Upon further investigation I realized that the acceleration value is used in the construction script. I managed to get it working by triggering the InitializeTrainCarriage function after changing the value of Acceleration, however it is still a bit clunky. Is there a better way of doing it?

VR support?

@PXDN and @tanka2d; Apologies for the delay in responding, we didn’t get a mail about the forum posts.

Glad you’re liking it. There is indeed an easy way; set the carriage to use constant speeds (tick box in the options) and then change the max speed to the value you want. Here’s a screen shot I used to test it out by using a random speed each time the key is pressed.

Yep, while we don’t have any specific VR implementation in there, it’s easy to use it in VR and several other users have done so without issue.

Hope that answers both your questions, please shout if not and please feel free to bug us at support[at]polygonjelly[dot]com if you ever have to wait for an answer like that again.

Cheers,

Quick update that this is compatible with 4.16, but if anyone experiences any issues, please let us know.

We are working on some updates that’ll coming in the next week or two that will allow for more control over scale or trains and tracks.