[TOOL] Procedural street and intersection building tool

Hi, nice work but I have some questions about the plugin. Can you build it for 4.18 version? Are there differences with UE4 4.15? Is there a way to make material follow the spline direction. Can I create slope or plugin works only for flat place. Thanks

Hey, thanks @mittense for linking our GitHub repo on your page - that is amazing!

We are definitely considering releasing the full source code. But for now, we are mostly interested in getting some feedback from you guys (see post above). If nothing else, at lest we will provide the source code and technical support to serious developers for a fee - we will definitely not lock anybody in.

I should also mention that the** current released binaries of StreetArch are provided free for commercial use** (we will not collect any royalties for this release).

Hey - Bit of feed back from me

1. The License says LGPL on your Github - This is incompatible with UE4 license wise. Would it be possible to get something like MIT or Apache 2.0?
  2. The current release is for 4.15 would it be possible to get a release for 4.19 or 4.18? You do not need to include all the features in the open source version. Just saying.

@Filippo Thanks for your questions, let me answer them:

I see that there is great interest for 4.18 version, so we will be building and testing it for that version also (coming soon). On the other hand, I am not sure if there are any diferences, you may try to put the 4.15 plugin in newer engine version - it might just work.

It is possible and we know how to do it, we just didn’t come around doing it for this alpha testing release. We already have had an opened issue for that on github.

The current provided alpha release only works for flat places. But its almost trivial to implement the slope, so we will do that in near future. (I have opened an issue for that on github)

Also, folks, don’t hesitate to post issues on github yourself when you test out the plugin.

Hey @HeadClot , thaks for the feedback, we appreciate it.

The **StreetArch plugin is NOT under LGPL license. **This release is under a custom EULA provided on GitHub, where we grant you the commercial and royalty free license among other things (read the EULA).

What might have confused you is that at the end of the EULA there is a copy of the LGPL license - we legally needed to include that copy because we used the third party library GEOS which is under the LGPL license (see the relevant section there) - and the copy of LGPL is necessary to be compliant. That in no way means that LGPL applies to our plugin, since it is only a “work that uses the [third party] library”, and thus we can provide the plugin under any terms that we see fit.

Hope I clarified this for you?

There is an interest for other engine version, so we will be releasing this alpha for 4.18 also. Regarding the open source, we are thinking about it, and will probably get back to directly to you guys that are interested for that in order to better understand what are your precise needs :slight_smile:

Hi we currently use this tool (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WP473rNZ_Eo) on 3dmax. but a lot of issue with export not optimized game engine but still works like a charm on 3dsmax.time saver and got a lot of detail and customization.

if we got this features on unreal would be amazing! need customize (static mesh/skeletal mesh and texture) curbs, pavements, road elements , street elements , lighting objects, benches etc for huge archviz projects.

Great I think understand what you need, and we are going towards that. The StreetArch plugin is already supporting many of the features you requested (see the first post), everything is very costomizable as you can see.

Also we have (what 3dsmax plugin lacks) automatic intersection generation from intersecting road segments where we use simple, but powerful, civil engineering rules to build realistic intersection geometry. You can also modify the curbstone radius and by so get really organic intersection shapes - as you would find in real cities (see demo video for now, but I will some more examples in a next few days).

Of course, this early in development, we are lacking some of the features that the 3dmax tool has, but I think that you may already tryout our plugin and see if it helps - and tell us if you would find it useful for your projects at some point : )

Just out of interest: @Nocturness do you have some portfolio/website were I can see what kind of archviz projects you are working on - those in which you would find the StreetArch plugin useful.

We have released the StreetArch plugin for the Unreal Engine version 4.18:

The binaries for the release are available on the GitHub repo in the release page.

Hopefully this will make it possible for more of you to test it out. Please let us know if you do so, and don’t hesitate to provide any feedback.

Hi, is it possible to add my own Road and Intersection Meshs?

If you keep it in 4.15 it’s an instabuy from me when you release

Currently we do not support this, but using the custom road segments should be quite easy to implement. I have opened an issue for this on StreetArch github, you may place thumbs up on the issue to make it more important to us.

Regarding the custom intersection meshes - the purpose of the StreetArch plugin is to enable creating intersections procedurally. Are you interested in having the possibility to use custom meshes in some intersection in addition to procedural ones? It can be done, but you will lose a lot of features for intersection editing and etc. Do you expect some kind of snapping for this? Please explain this further @gotgrassct so we can add an feature request issue for this too if we can understand it better.

Are buildings generated as well?

Have you seen the Road Editor Plugin? https://forums.unrealengine.com/comm…3-Road-Editor=

Honestly, if this plugin was more like that, i’d love the **** out of this plugin. My problem with THAT plugin, is the developer doesn’t respond to NO ONE, and takes MONTHS to update his plugin to a newer engine version. So while i waited for him to update the plugin to 4.19, i found this plugin. It seemed pretty cool, and eliminates the need to actually model roads. But it doesn’t work all the time, and manually placing the roads with the transform tool is a pain. Instead of using the transform tool, it would be cool to Ctrl+Click the landscape to create spline points, and have the landscape react to it, and conform to the placed road.

I suggest reading up on the plugin, and maybe copy some ideas from it, and make an even BETTER plugin then that guy. There are A LOT of people who bought that plugin, and are very dissappointed at the developer for a lot of reasons (no communication, tons of bugs, updates plugin every 6 months)

It would be amazing if you can incorporate some ideas from that plugin into this one, or even create another plugin that does a similar job to that one. i’d pay twice the amount then he’s charging!

I’d really like to test out your plugin, since I currently developed something very similar and it would be an honor to analyze some professional work to improve my own! I’m currently working with 4.20 and I’m struggling in recompiling the files. Any posibility to provide the Binaries for 4.20? Would be very grateful for this! Thanks.

Greetings, Sara

Could You please update this awesome plugin to UE4.21 ?

Or is there a way to get souce to build it myself ?

Does the beta version work with Linux and 4.21 also? I wouldn’t mind trying it out. It is useful for what I am doing. I like the road snapping ability and procedural randomization.

Please help engine version 4.22 please help if you can’t compile it!

If this is not gonna be updated, is there any chance the Source could be released at least? As of now, this plugin is completely useless, yet it has a lot of potential in store.

EDIT: Btw, inpired by this, i’m creating my own procedural road intersection generator using blueprints only, here’s the progress so far: