[TOOL] PolyWorld for the Unreal Engine!

Is this still happening?

I’d still really like to make this happen. If you need a hand getting anything in place let me know. I’d be happy to help.

Hi There,

I did work on this quite awhile ago and found the landscape to mesh converstion process to be slow when sampling the pixel data from textures for application of terrain color.

Also, blueprint doesn’t have the necessary nodes to be able to do the same conversion for skeletal meshes. I got it done for static ones though.

Granted, this was about 2 years ago so some strides in mesh creation may have occurred since then. I simply didn’t have the time to pick it back up again and do R&D on what UE4 is capable of on this front.

Here’s what I need. If anyone could help me find the answers to these issues, I’d be 100% be in favor of bringing the PolyWorld packs to UE4. The approaches are conceptually simple, but the c++ hooks eluded me at the time.

1. I need to take a static mesh, read all it’s vertices, sample the base color texture at each UV coordinate of each vertex, store that data in a vertex color array, then just copy all the mesh data to a completely NEW mesh with those new vertex colors.
  2. I need to do #1 with the skinned mesh vertex data from skeletal meshes (blend weights and stuff)
  3. I need to be able to convert the landscape to a static mesh so we can vertex paint on it. OR, just use the DDX/DDY shader on the standard landscape. I’m not sure which is preferable when considering mobile devices since DDX/DDY functions are not compatible.

Thanks!
-pete

I’m not a pro at C++, but I’d be more than happy to roll my sleeves up for this kind of project.

I take it this isn’t going to happen?

from the conversation I had with him, not enough parameters or something of the sort are exposed in the engine to do this easily. It would require quite a bit of work to make it happen. This could be something that would require a custom engine to accomplish.

I’m still working my way to being a neck beard level programmer, but once I get there I’ll be taking a stab at this because I want it so bad.

I started work on this again… There’s gotta be a way :wink: As time progresses I might start another thread as the info here is going to be outdated.

Hey neat there is some activity on this. Looking awesome!

Would love to use this! Would even pay several hundreds of dollars for this plugin in UE4!

PLEASE I need this haha