[TOOL] Blender Vector Field Editor

Hey, I just saw your message. The setup in the example was created with the Wind Curve Force tool included in editor (under tools).

To use it, add a curve to the scene, perform any edits and subdivisions you want, and click Create New in the Wind Curve Force box with the curve selected. It works best on highly subdivided curves. It will place a force object at each point along the curve, each pointing towards the next (with some smoothing). You can tweak the strength, falloff distance, and falloff power of the force fields by selecting the curve during creation (or edit existing values by selecting the object named CurveForce(.X) in the scene tab, editing the values in the tool’s box, and clicking Edit Selected).

Thank you very much! Now I get it :slight_smile:
Awesome tool, gj!

Is there a way to see how vector field would affect particles right in Blender? Or would I have to export-test-export-test-etc. until I am satisfied ?

Sorry about the delay, I didn’t see your post until just now.
There’s no way to get a preview like that with the addon in its current state, but I’m going to experiment to see if I can get something like working. I don’t think there’s a way to directly modify particle movement through Python but force fields should work (if not very efficiently for performance). Barring that, a custom Blender build may do it, though.

Not sure if anything usable will come out of it, but I’ll definitely try :smiley:

Thanks!

So basically there is no way of knowing whether vector field works or not unless I export it and test it in UE4 ?

Pretty much. Displaying velocity lines in Blender is sadly the closest thing to seeing the final product at the moment.

Baking the vector field’s particle system transforms and advancing the timeline is also a good way to get a general idea of how the vector field will behave in the engine for simple systems, but will only work if you’re using force fields to set up the vector field to begin with. Any velocities created by the vector math functions in the tool won’t influence the particles at point.

Has anyone had success getting to work with Blender 2.78? I can’t get Blender to find the addon, either by putting it in the addon folder or by installing from file.

I just tested it again to make sure and it looks like it’s still working for me.
Assuming it’s in the script folder, it should show up in the addon manager as ‘Object: FGA Vector Fields’. Manually copying it to the scripts folder works, but I haven’t tried installing it with the ‘Install From File’ function.

I finally got it to work, thanks. And just in case anyone else is as clueless as me… When I unzipped the files into the addon folder, I guess there are two layers of folders: …\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.78\scripts\addons*Blender_UE4_VectorFieldEditor-master\FGA_VectorFields*. It would not recogonize it that way. By copying the ‘FGA_VectorFields’ folder to the ‘addons’ folder, it pulled it right up: …\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.78\scripts\addons*FGA_VectorFields* works just fine. Thanks again, I’m having fun with it. :slight_smile:

I did a little tutorial about that.

Is still being worked on/supported? If I try to display the vector field or try and export it, I get a “Attribute error ‘nonetype’ object has no attribute ‘location’”.