This engine is an insult to developers

I agree on principle but not this particular case because arguing that an engine that has shipped hundreds of games successfully across a dozen platforms is somehow unusable and completely broken is, AT BEST, inane.

This is why I stay away from C++, it just wasn’t made for some people. Blueprints on the other hand are pretty fun. On the technical side my game was **** I wouldn’t dare try to fix it or even create something new in C++ unless I had a real programmer to do it.

1 Like

And that’s why i shall stick to more simplistic games to create.

Throw the toys out the pram :slight_smile:

This is a great course for a good overview, highly recommend it:

If you go to Tom’s site you can get the course for $12 plus he also has some other useful tutorials.

I watched Tom’s course at Udemy’s for Multiplayer in C++ with Unreal and loved it. I could also setup up everything in blueprints after that, so double win in my case.

Yeah good lad is Tom good tuts.

The fact he was a programmer at epic means you know you’re getting the best info aswell.

For $11 you cant go wrong.

p.s. im not on commission honest :slight_smile:

Great tutorial! Between that and the gamedev.tv guys on udemy, there is a lot of information that can be learned and not for a lot of money either.

Over 1 year later,those things are getting worst. I’m looking for shaders in UE4 and all documentations I can find are outdated since 3 or 4 versions and non-UE tutorials are just copying what UE says with deprecated code. It is frustrating to make one step forward and two steps back after spending several hours and find nothing interesting.

Well, the C++ Interface is fine , in fact things are quite logical if you start to understand Epic’s coding practices. It is fast and extremely powerful.
In my opinion Blueprints don’t make a lot of sense for more complex projects and personally i would expect that coding the same logic in a language like python would be a lot more efficient and flexible.

Back to CPP:
The issue is that there is hardly any first-party documentation. Third-party Tutorials found online are often outdated or just plain wrong, if you can even find something related.
Right now your only viable/best option is to look at the engine source code, find similar components and see how it is implemented. It works but sometimes takes an unnecessary amount of time to lookup simple things.

I think what Epic should do is start a written documentation series explaining the basics:
Custom types, containers in Unreal (Tarray etc.), how to create Objects/Actors, Header conventions , TCP/UDP networking, Create custom UIs, … Maybe even emphasize why certain design decisions have been made and what the reasons/benefits behind standing conventions are, best practices.