"The path to the asset is too long for cooking" - I'm less than 30 characters

It should be located in your C drive (or whatever your primary harddrive is) under the Unreal Projects folder.

Right, the default for me is My Documents\Unreal Projects

I’ve managed to reproduce this problem.

The validation wasn’t working correctly when the project was outside the UE4 source tree. I’ve made a fix for this, which should be in 4.5.

I’ve also slightly relaxed the restrictions based upon our updated cook path rules, and have restricted the test for the build machine cook path to internal builds only.

https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine/commit/fe2af8112e9f096700af0f557bae014bf0461517

The file name is short but the path name is long. You can shift the file to another directory but that’s just a temporary solution to this. There are many solutions to this problem, like tweaking the windows registry editor but that works in some cases only. You could use GS Richcopy 360 instead, although its a paid software but it will solve this problem and other error related to file transfer.

I can’t believe this is even a problem. I can’t build my project because file names are too long. LOL. This is 2017 Microsoft. Having over 260 characters should not be a problem and should not be limited.

I’ve had 3 projects now where when I purchase an asset from the UE4 marketplace, and add them to my projects, the file names are too long. So my game won’t package/build. And it’s not even my own naming structure.

My projects are not located in long file-name directories, all of my projects are in the very first directory on my hard-drive, and they don’t have particularly long names, but the asset/content creators on the Marketplace create folders within folders, within folders…and this leads to very long file names upon asset/content import.

I can’t really control this except by trying to move file structures around within the game project…which breaks references and screws up my entire game. It’s like a catch-22 of game breaking dysfunction, all because file name lengths are limited lol.

I had same experience. It works best for me.

I already dealt with that the ‘cooking paths’ is 2-4 times longer than real system’s ones (be it to UE4 directory | project’s folder | temp cooking directory or even all together), gave up normal file sorting system, using shortest names my team can accept, but this

234303-mis-path.png

is just ...

(nothing except the attempt to rename was changed, the project is at E:| |/ | , and just in case: I’m showing not the ‘importing behavior’ here;)

Would HUGELY appreciate ANY help on understanding why the lenght counting working like this and how to fix it, because its just impossible to work.

(Unreal Engine 4.18.3 , Windows 10)

migration (to project in same parent location) helped, + ,after it ,the count went down to 110, @_staff pleeease look into this