The new forum software is HORRIBLE (mobile theme on desktop)

I just have two questions [MENTION=8] [/MENTION]

1. Why is Epic using old fashioned forums at all? For a company that is cutting edge and modern, why use technology from the 90’s? Why on earth are they not moving on to something like Discourse or better yet, Flarum?

For example, this old style forums segregates information into categories that don’t fit many scenarios. Say I have a question about Blueprint, C++ and modding… uh oh, which category do I put it in?

1. I’m sure this has been discussed already, but why oh why does Epic have a forum and an answer hub? I’m sure it seemed like a good idea in theory, but in practice… information is split over two web sites. The forum search is useless as it doesn’t search answer hub and vice versa. I have to do all my searches through Google to pick up both. Knowing which site to post on futher compounds the issue of which category/tag to use… I could go on, but I figure my point is made.

Ad. 1
Flarum is some non-profit project (partially developed by students which is also reason of terrible development delays) and it’s not proven for big forums yet :wink:

Ad. 2
Use this to search all places at once https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Search/index.html?q=something&x=0&y=0
I binded it to keyword in Chrome, so I just type “u” + Tab key + searched phrase :slight_smile:

happened to me too,
actually a lot !, i have to switch between browsers/ private brwosing to get the right layout .

i am always on desktop btw .

I went to check out flarum, and it does seem pretty nice - but they have a very long way to go until it could be used with a large community like this one. There’s not even a usable editor yet.

Haven’t seen that before. However, I still prefer to use Google. I just preface my search with “ue4” in Google and it picks up everything. The good thing about Google is that it picks up other web sites too, like blog posts and youtube videos from other people. To be honest, I actually find most of my answers on other people’s web sites.

I know Flarum still has a way to go. However I believe that sort of stuff (there are others too) is the way of the future. Look at the features that Discourse has, and some of the massive communities it powers for example.

[MENTION=8] [/MENTION]
It looks I found repro for mysterious bug changing the forum theme.

1. Just open page from this link, there’s style ID in the end of it
    VR Expansion Plugin - XR Development - Epic Developer Community Forums
  2. Forum displays mobile theme on desktop browser. This change is permanent, you can enter forum different address and you still gonna see mobile theme :wink:
  3. Click “Full Site” link at the bottom in order to restore desktop theme.

Not sure if you’re able to fix it, or it’s just one of “native” vBulletin bugs.
At least there’s repro :wink:

How do you send a private message to someone using this new layout? I can’t find a way to do it.

I had this happening all of the sudden in google chrome, the button on the bottom fixed it for me