SVN on OSX 10.10 hangs forever, works manually from cli

Ok, so I am not going crazy! Yay! Please let me know when you find a work around for this. I appreciate your help.

Any Updates?

Updates?

I have similar output from process sample after trying suggested fixes

Hi all,

Sorry for delay in response. issue has not been resolved yet, but it is still being tracked with UE-9429. We will let you know when we see any update on it. Thanks for your patience!

I’m having same problem after trying everything in this question and others on here. This is in 4.8.1.

I’ve spent hours trying to get it to work, please can you say what status is on this?

issue has not yet been resolved internally, but we are hoping for 4.9.

Switched to Perforce. Not one problem. I advise switching versioning software/server if you want team workflow stability.

Issue still present on UE4.10 …

Issue still present on UE4.10 … is there any news about it?

Given that has deduced svn process itself is stuck (not UE4 - that’s just waiting for process), would someone please try executing following command from command line (from within svn directory)?

svn status --verbose --show-updates --non-interactive --xml --trust-server-cert --username <user> --password <password> 

If that doesn’t hang, there must be something special with way we are invoking process itself…

One other thing you can try is potentially using a more up-to-date system svn binary (if you have one), rather than one shipped with UE4. You can do this by adding following to your SourceControlSettings.ini:

[SubversionSourceControl.SubversionSourceControlSettings]
ExecutableLocation=/path/to/svn

Hi Andrew,

I tried command line code and it printed output correctly without hanging.

I have also tried to change content of SourceControlSettings.ini but without luck.
First of all I’m not sure if I’m editing correct ini file. Is one located in /Intermediate/Config/CoalescedSourceConfigs/ ?

Even so, I have also tried to change all binaries in /Users/Shared/UnrealEngine/4.10/Engine/Binaries/ThirdParty/svn/Mac/bin/ with svn 1.9.2.
Again, nothing changed. Same thing with system svn.
Then I noticed that I had another error message, before hang… “client too old to work with this working copy”… all svn I tried where 1.8.8 or 1.8.10 so error didn’t make any sense. Even svn shipped with unreal is 1.8.8, if I’m not wrong.
And then I remembered that my Xcode has svn 1.7. I tried to change that with svn 1.9.2 and “too old” error was gone. That means that Unreal is using XCode’s svn binaries, not its own nor system’s ones.

In any case hang is still there.

EDIT:
As a proof that Unreal is using XCode’s svn, I’ve tried to rename my Xcode.app to XcodeBackup.app, and now Unreal complains that it can’t find svn, no matter what I wrote on SourceControlSettings.ini

these are errors logged:

Info Source control is disabled
Warning xcrun: error: active developer path ("/Applications/XCode.app/Contents//Developer/") does not exist, use `xcode-select --switch path/to/Xcode.app` to specify  Xcode that you wish to use for command line developer tools (or see `man xcode-select`)
Warning Failed to connect to repository http://daniele.niero@calico-games.com/scm/svn/Fed
Error xcrun: error: active developer path ("/Applications/XCode.app/Contents//Developer/") does not exist, use `xcode-select --switch path/to/Xcode.app` to specify  Xcode that you wish to use for command line developer tools (or see `man xcode-select`)

Ok, so established that Unreal is using XCode’s svn, I have tried to run command line with that svn…
That report an error!

/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/svn svn status --verbose --show-updates --non-interactive --xml --trust-server-cert -- --username <user> --password <password>

dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: _svn_ver__check_list2
  Referenced from: /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/svn
  Expected in: /usr/local/lib/libsvn_subr-1.0.dylib

dyld: Symbol not found: _svn_ver__check_list2
  Referenced from: /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/svn
  Expected in: /usr/local/lib/libsvn_subr-1.0.dylib

Trace/BPT trap: 5

EDIT:
I got rid of this error. reason was that Xcode’s svn (also one used by Unreal) was still looking for dynamic libraries in /usr/local/lib (no idea why), but those libraries where for a different version on svn.
I compiled subversion 1.9.2 and installed in both directories and now everything works from command line.

Unfortunately Unreal still hanging.

Any more ideas?

Are you guys in holiday? :wink:

No & we think we know what is causing hang - we need to use NSPipe’s readInBackground* features to pull data off stdout pipe we supply when executing SVN. We’ll get this fixed as and when we can.

Thanks!
I really appreciate it, it is only thing that still bother me on Mac.