Supposed to work on Macs yet?

Yes, thats how I knew it worked. It’s trivial to rebuild with this change once familiar with the very basics of downloading a github version of UE4 and compiling using xcode.

Ah, there’s me thrashing around to no avail trying to build the Xcode projects from the source that comes from the Launcher when I should’ve cloned from the github version. Thanks!

Wow, this is serious work! I have the same problem with the new audio engine and my sound card but I don’t have any code skills so I’ll wait for an Epic answer ^^
Do you know if your solution will be implemented soon?
Thanks anyway!

Well there are 2 problems and I only fixed one of them, the other one is beyond my skills to fix.

First problem, that I fixed, is the new audio engine on macOS always choosing the first audio device in the system, not the audio device that is actually set to be the default in macOS.

But once that is fixed, and it tries to use the correct audio device for your setup, you will almost certainly run into a problem due to the number of audio inputs & outputs that your audio interface supports. I got round this temporarily by using soundflower as my default device and using soundflowerbed to route the 2 channel soundflower virtual audio device to my actual audio device.

There has not been any official acknowledgement of my fix for the first issue, so I have no idea about timescale for fixing this stuff in a release version of UE4.

I am very happy to report that at least on my system, both issues I reported here have been fixed in UE4.17 Preview 1 :slight_smile:

Great news, thanks for reporting back Steve! I’ve switched to an employer-provided PC for my current synth plugin work, but it’ll be good to be able to twiddle on Mac in my downtime.

cool!

That was me :smiley: one of the first things I worked on after I joined. Thanks for checking this out!

Welcome, and cool, nice work :slight_smile:

Does anyone know if the new audio engine is working on MacOS yet with the release of 4.17? Or do we have to do the steps that SteveElbows has had to go through… I know it’s still in early access however the UE4 Trello Roadmap does say that MacOS is a targeted platform for 4.17. Thanks for any information!

I am able to instantiate the Modular Synth component without doing any special tricks in 4.17 (other than enabling the necessary plugins). However, often when I start to Play a level that loads the synth, a lot of noise is generated (not white noise like from the synth - more like the audio buffers are getting completely hosed). When I say often, I mean about 80% of the time I get that noise.

If I subclass the Synth Component and instantiate the default version of that (just makes a 440hz sine tone), 99% of the time there is no noise, but everyone once and a while there is.

Like I said in an earlier post, the stuff I was going on about earlier in this thread was fixed in 417. You still need to edit a setting in an .ini file to enable the new engine because it isnt the default yet, but this is also true of other platforms.

Did you enable the new audio engine? Those noises sound like they might be the same ones I got if I accidentally tried to use the synth with the old audio engine.

Hi folks!

You will want to create an ini file for Mac similar to the Windows instructions, except you will want it in the Mac folder (MacEngine.ini) and it will have this line:

AudioDeviceModuleName=AudioMixerAudioUnit

I’ll try to update the 4.16 post with the additional platform instructions.