Spawn actor and align above terrain

Hey did you get everything set up yet?

Hey dude,

I’ve got 19 screenshots on dropbox detailing what I did to get something like this going. Hopefully you can get the information you need to set it up in your game, and understand it enough to tailor it to your needs.

Screenshots 1-5 are in the Event Graph.

For the Materials screenshots, I created a master material, which never gets used. In the master, I made the color, opacity, and a “glow boost” multiplier into parameters. Material parameters can be overwritten by material instances. So I made one instance of the master and colored it white, and another instance and colored it red.

Look at the blueprint comments, and the image titles for clues on what’s happening if you get lost.

Let me know if you have any questions, and please mark this question as answered.

Again, i appreciate all of your help!! without you, i could of never implement this system. Thank you so much! i will test this out later tonight, if i have any questions i’ll let u know, but i should be good.

I Just got one question: Is this all taking place in the player blueprint and the materiel blueprint?

No problemo

Yep, the whole thing is done in the character blueprint, the material instances are created beforehand and used in the blueprint.

Theres some extra variables that i noticed: Placement angle limit, Placement blocking objects etc

What do i set the default values too on any of those?

I Did everything u told me to and everything else is working but it’s not rotating. i’m thinking cause i didn’t set the default value or something.

Nevermind i figured it out lol

Hey do you know how to work with UMG 3d widgets? like to add a UMG 3D Widget into the world and interact with it.

hey how could i do this for inv dropping my items go under the map if i look down cause they are supposed to spawn in the air in front of me

Instead of using your camera or controller’s forward vector (which will point down when you look down), use actor forward vector, which should always be parallel with the ground and pointing forward. (Unless you’re rotating your actor some other way).

If you want it to spawn on the ground where you’re looking, you’re going to have to do a single line trace forward using the camera forward vector. The distance of the trace should be how far in front of you the item should appear. If the trace hits nothing, then you can just spawn it regularly. If the trace hits something, then spawn it at the hit location.

Also for future reference, you should not have posted your question as an answer here. You should either leave a comment on another answer, or create a new question.

This worked for me, with adding a socket to the root bone …

Thanks, unit23. Your solution worked out perfectly for my situation and was super easy.

sometimes the obvious isn’t thought. thanks for you